Build 7601, Copy of Windows is not genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen a number of forum entries discussing what happens when you first get the error message:

Windows 7

Build 7601

This copy of Windows is not genuine.

But all of them assume that you can actually open windows, and then get the error message. In my case, I just moved my OS to an SSD, and it worked fine for a day or two, but when I updated, I started getting this message and Windows wouldn't even continue loading. I've got the product key available, but need to know how I can fix this by going into command line since Windows won't open.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:43 PM

Answers

• No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:37 PM

All replies

• "BRob11" wrote in message news:9266eb42-ea0d-4865-b49e-830bba4ba990...

I've seen a number of forum entries discussing what happens when you first get the error message:

Windows 7

Build 7601

This copy of Windows is not genuine.

But all of them assume that you can actually open windows, and then get the error message. In my case, I just moved my OS to an SSD, and it worked fine for a day or two, but when I updated, I started getting this message and Windows wouldn't even continue loading. I've got the product key available, but need to know how I can fix this by going into command line since Windows won't open.

What happens when you attempt to boot to Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt?
    If either work, then open MSCONFIG, and start a Clean Boot troubleshoot.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:49 PM
  • When I opened in Safe Mode w/ CP, all I got was a black screen (w/ the Safe Mode logos at the corners). But I was able to open Task Manager, opened Windows Explorer from there, and I was able to get my screen up. However...it appears to have very limited functionality. When I try to go into Control Panel, I get "No such interface supported." Same message when I right click on "My Computer" or "Windows Update."

I did try running a Clean Boot. Nothing changed. Judging from what I see on some other forums, this is something that has happened to others when SP1 installed on a Dell. But when I can't get into update, Properties, or Control Panel, I have no idea how to fix it.

Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Now when I try to go back to MSCONFIG, it says "the specified path does not exist," even though I browsed to it.

Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:17 PM
  • "BRob11" wrote in message news:a27a3e8c-6a70-4812-8aa4-4b8f7fe1822c...

When I opened in Safe Mode w/ CP, all I got was a black screen (w/ the Safe Mode logos at the corners). But I was able to open Task Manager, opened Windows Explorer from there, and I was able to get my screen up. However...it appears to have very limited functionality. When I try to go into Control Panel, I get "No such interface supported." Same message when I right click on "My Computer" or "Windows Update."

I did try running a Clean Boot. Nothing changed. Judging from what I see on some other forums, this is something that has happened to others when SP1 installed on a Dell. But when I can't get into update, Properties, or Control Panel, I have no idea how to fix it.

Bob

This is normal for Safe Mode with CP – many of the basic services on which explorer depends are not loaded.
    There’s no point in attempting to use Windows Explorer in the CP.
    You may be able to use System Restore though.....
    Boot to Safe Mode with CP and get a Command Prompt window up.
    At the prompt run
    C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe
    See if that brings up your System Restore options – and whether they work. Note that you will not be able to undo the SR in the normal way, as SR’s done from Safe Mode break the chain.

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:53 PM
  • I'd tried doing an SR from Boot mode, and it showed no SR points. I'll try doing it from command line. I figured that, since I'd just moved the OS to the SSD, it hadn't set any yet.

Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 2:25 PM
  • The drive geometry of an SSD is very different from that of an HDD.  There are no sectors and tracks, for example.  If you transferred the system by imaging you might want to consider a clean install so that the drive constroller in the SSD can get the geometry right.  This is a known consideration in using SSDs.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, March 9, 2012 3:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Did a clean install on the SSD. I had actually run into the "genuine Windows" issue right before I switched to the SSD, but one of my HDDs was failing, and I had the SSD on order. I thought reinstalling Windows would solve the problem...but no. I'm pretty sure it's an SP1 problem. Just don't know how to fix it when I can't access any of my admin functions.

Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 3:17 PM
  • You may be able to use System Restore though.....
    At the prompt run
    See if that brings up your System Restore options – and whether they work. Note that you will not be able to undo the SR in the normal way, as SR’s done from Safe Mode break the chain.

Ran rstrui thru SR w/ CP. Got SR up...a small victory. However, it stated that SR had been turned off. Don't know why...I've never turned it off. And, of course, since in safemode it won't let me access the control panel, or anything else, I couldn't turn it on again.

Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:56 PM
  • "BRob11" wrote in message news:e61ad3b8-7eb0-41b9-8954-a8ac238960da...
    You may be able to use System Restore though.....
    At the prompt run

Ran rstrui thru SR w/ CP. Got SR up...a small victory. However, it stated that SR had been turned off. Don't know why...I've never turned it off. And, of course, since in safemode it won't let me access the control panel, or anything else, I couldn't turn it on again.

Bob

It wouldn’t make any difference even if you could – disabling it removes all restore points,
    It may however also point to another potential entry-point....
    is the Volume Shadow Copy service available if you  open services.msc from the Safe Mode +CP boot?

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:00 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Actually, I spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft support yesterday. Four technicians later, they gave up and suggested I re-install Windows. Oh, well...thanks for everyone's efforts.

Bob

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:00 PM
  • "BRob11" wrote in message news:7f62dc92-2558-4f56-b3a9-4c15ce41e46f...
    Actually, I spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft support yesterday. Four technicians later, they gave up and suggested I re-install Windows. Oh, well...thanks for everyone's efforts.

Bob

Sorry we couldn’t fix it for you!
    Good luck with the reinstall.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:04 PM