Intel PRO/1000 GT NIC Compatible? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to upgrade to a gigabit network card in my WHS box and I'm wondering if the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter is supported by the included WHS drivers? The on-board NIC wasn't, so that's why I'm asking...
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:16 PM

Answers

• With Windows Home Server there are quite a few network interface cards that will not automatically install and get configured due to the drivers not coming with the Windows Home Server.  You can configure the network card and load the necessary drivers by using the "Device Manager" link on the desktop of your Windows Home Server.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:44 PM
  • The Broadcom NetExtreme 10/100/100 NIC in my Dell Poweredge SC420 was not installed out of the box, the Server 2003 drivers from Dell installed like a champ.  I would figure pretty much any Intel NIC should install either out of the box or very easily with their Server 2003 drivers.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:04 PM

All replies

• With Windows Home Server there are quite a few network interface cards that will not automatically install and get configured due to the drivers not coming with the Windows Home Server.  You can configure the network card and load the necessary drivers by using the "Device Manager" link on the desktop of your Windows Home Server.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Jason,
    I just purchased that NIC to use for my Home Server. I will be building it this week. I'll let you know my experience then. I've gone to Intel's support site and downloaded the Windows Server 2003 drivers and I imagine those will work fine.

Shahn

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:42 PM
  • The Broadcom NetExtreme 10/100/100 NIC in my Dell Poweredge SC420 was not installed out of the box, the Server 2003 drivers from Dell installed like a champ.  I would figure pretty much any Intel NIC should install either out of the box or very easily with their Server 2003 drivers.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Well, in theory yes that's how it works, but when I tried to load the Windows Server 2003 drivers for the on-board NIC (it's an Asus motherboard) the drivers wouldn't install claiming that the version of Windows I was trying to install the driver for wasn't supported. So there's no guarantee of Windows 2003 drivers working (unfortunately).
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Great, I'll make it a point to check in on Monday see how you made out. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:24 PM
  • Jason,
    I just finished installing Home Server Beta 2 and moved my frankenstein-built server (Pentium III 600/512MB/250GB/Intel PRO/1000 GT) down stairs in the basement. The Intel PRO/1000 GT drivers don't come built-in, but installing the newest drivers from support.intel.com are working great. If I run into anything I'll be sure to post something here on the forums.

Shahn

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:34 AM
  • Jason

I am using a Asus motherboard for the test machine with internal nic as well, It was not piced up during the install.I find the lack of intel 10/100/1000 driver a surprise seeing as how many systems are using this now.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:03 PM