automatic update crashed WHS RRS feed

• Question

• According to the logs, around 5PM an automatic update was installed. Five minutes later when it tried to do the automatic reboot WHS locked up. I found out around 6:30. I attached a monitor and nothing was visible, not responsive to mouse or keyboard or any network activity. I had to hard reset. After it came back up I found a number of errors in the event log including several relating to failing drives. But once up all drives appear to be fine and the few files I checked are OK too. I do not have PP1 installed.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:41 AM

Answers

•  azjerry1 wrote:
    Let me see if I've got this straight:
    - Automatic updates on: pretty obvious: automatically installs
    (at the set time) all WHS updates except those that require interaction, like the MSRT. Those turn the network status to red and, in my case, I get an email notification on my cell phone (using email notification add-on). I know about the notification because I just got notified about the MSRT update (my time is set to 5PM).

That's correct.

azjerry1 wrote:
    - Automatic updates off: no updates installed: no notification except, perhaps, if one like MSRT requires user interaction. I can choose to use the WHS install updates button when I want but likely won't know if there's anything to do until afterward.

Right?

I'm not sure about this, but with AU off in the console, I don't think you'll even get a notification about an update that needs approval (like MSRT).

What I have on mine is AU off in the WHS Console, but Notify Me from the server desktop.  This way I can control when WHS reboots (due to Previous Versons bug).

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:47 AM

All replies

• Forgot to mention that an updated Windows Malicious Software Removal tool is also waiting to be updated. But based on a previous post I'm not supposed to install any updates that I wouldn't see in the remote console.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    Forgot to mention that an updated Windows Malicious Software Removal tool is also waiting to be updated. But based on a previous post I'm not supposed to install any updates that I wouldn't see in the remote console.

Yes, you should only install updates that would show up in the console.  However, the console picks up all critical updates (including the MSRT), so that one is ok.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Since I have some other software running on WHS I usually just use remote desktop to the server and rarely use the remote console. Assuming I did use the console how am I notified there that updates need to be installed?
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:03 AM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    Since I have some other software running on WHS I usually just use remote desktop to the server and rarely use the remote console. Assuming I did use the console how am I notified there that updates need to be installed?

You're not. Smile  The concept of WHS is to keep it simple.  The console only offers on (which is automatic, every day at midnight) or off (which is never install).

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:21 AM
  • In addition, if an update (such as the Malicious Software Removal Tool) has an EULA that you're required to click through before installation, you'll see a critical network health warning. You'll be able to install the update (including agreeing to the EULA) through the console.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:00 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

You're not.   The concept of WHS is to keep it simple.  The console only offers on (which is automatic, every day at midnight) or off (which is never install).

Is there any way to move the time? My weather station software does a bunch of daily at housekeeping after just after midnight.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:19 PM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    Is there any way to move the time? My weather station software does a bunch of daily at housekeeping after just after midnight.
    Normally they're set for the start of your backup window, but Start → Control Panel → Automatic Updates and change the time. I would recommend choosing a time that's outside of your backup window if you decide to change it.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Ken

Following up on my earlier question, if I choose to turn off automatic updates I assume I'll get a network status warning (ie connector icon not green) whenever there's a WHS update that needs installing? I would rather be able to shut down my other software temporarily when I want instead of causing potential problems with an unexpected reboot.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Let me see if I've got this straight:
    (at the set time) all WHS updates except those that require interaction, like the MSRT. Those turn the network status to red and, in my case, I get an email notification on my cell phone (using email notification add-on). I know about the notification because I just got notified about the MSRT update (my time is set to 5PM).

- Automatic updates off: no updates installed: no notification except, perhaps, if one like MSRT requires user interaction. I can choose to use the WHS install updates button when I want but likely won't know if there's anything to do until afterward.

Right?
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:09 AM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    Let me see if I've got this straight:

That's correct.

azjerry1 wrote:

Right?

I'm not sure about this, but with AU off in the console, I don't think you'll even get a notification about an update that needs approval (like MSRT).

What I have on mine is AU off in the WHS Console, but Notify Me from the server desktop.  This way I can control when WHS reboots (due to Previous Versons bug).

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:47 AM
  • That sems like a workable solution. Thanks.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:10 AM