Visual Basic and Com+ on server 2016 core RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

I was told to come here from the server 2016 forum.

I have been messing with this for awhile and simply can't figure it out. We have an older part of our application that uses VB6. No one wants to upgrade it but we need to upgrade our hosts. I prefer to use server core. When I run a specific complus install command for our custom apps, it does succeed on server 2016 std. However on server 2016 core, with same features installed I get the following errors.

From our deployment server:

--- Invoking installer: complus CustomAPP -install
    complus.vbs: Failed to process target file
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cscript' : return code '0x4'

I figured out the command which is trying to be run and I get a cscript error code of 4.

I have searched high and low. VB6 is supported on all versions of server 2016 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vb6/vb6-support. I had a tough time finding what error code for meant but I believe it means "The system cannot open the file."

I have found some stuff but it is all code related which I am not familiar with. Does anyone know why a GUI version of 2016 would open the text file and 2016 core would not? File is 36k in size and contains xml specifying what dlls and services to install.

Thank You,

Rich

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

• Changed type Bill_Stewart Monday, April 30, 2018 9:34 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, April 30, 2018 9:35 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:24 AM

All replies

• We cannot fix issue with third party products.

The is not a VB6 forum. 

Error 4 says that some file cannot be opened.  Contact the vendor of your tool for assistance.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Don't know why you were told to ask here. This is a Windows scripting forum.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:27 PM