After setup a new work station the crm outlook client generate dublicate contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are faced to the problem of duplicate contacts, when we setup an new working environment for an existing crm user. After the setup and configuration of the offline crm client for outlook we can see the duplicate contacts of the standard contacts folder from the user in the crm system. These contacts are already crm contacts so they should be there twice.

Currently we create a advanced search. Then we delete the identified contacts. This approach of handling the problem is not favor.

Is there are a standard approach with which we can avoid this problem?

Has anyone else this problem and how solve you this problem?

thanks

Chris

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:34 PM

Answers

• workaround:

before config waizard, export ure outlook contacts to pst, delete all contacts in outlook, run wizard, make the synchronize action in crm menu, import ure pst with option don´t import doubles..

greetz

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hello, please can you provide some more information about your situation?

Are you installing Outlook and CRM for Outlook on a new PC for an existing user? If so, after installing Outlook, and before installing CRM for Outlook, are there any contacts in the user's Outlook Contacts folder? If so, move these to a sub-folder called 'Personal Contacts' (or similar name). Are you using the standard filter group to synchronise contacts owned by the user? If so, initiate a sync and determine whether any duplicate contacts appear in CRM. If so, check the CRM database to see if duplicate contacts exist in the CRM system.

There is a standard approach to implementing CRM for Outlook. It's described in the CRM Implementation Guide (for CRM 4.0 or CRM 2011 depending on which version you have).

Regards,

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hello Neil,

Thanks for your fast response.

That´s correct, we are installing a new pc with outlook an the cfo. There already crm contacts in the outlook contact folder after the first start of the outlook through the standard outlook synchronization with the exchange server. These contacts have categories from crm, but crm recognize the contacts as new contacts. We expected that crm solve the situation itself, but it isn´t so.

We use crm 4.0. I have downloaded the latest one, but I couldn´t found any Information relating our problem.  In which chapter in the crm implementation guide to you think we find the approach to handle this problem?

Regards,

Chris

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:52 AM
  • I'm a bit confused by the statement, "There already crm contacts in the outlook contact folder after the first start of the outlook through the standard outlook synchronization with the exchange server".  I apologize but I am also confused by the issue.  Here's what generally takes place:

• You install the CRM Outlook Client on a user's machine
    • This is a new install (fresh)
    • The CRM Contacts from CRM show-up in the User's Outlook based on the synchronization process between the Outlook Client and CRM. 

If you do not want Outlook to sync the CRM Contacts owned by the user from CRM to the CRM Outlook Client then you need to go to the User's options and uncheck the option to Synchronize Contacts or deactivate the filter associated with syncing "My Contacts" so that Contacts are not pulled from CRM and added to Outlook.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Hi Donna,

the already existing contacts in the standard outlook folder are from an installation before on another system.

Here is our scenario:

1.  The crm user has a problem with his system, so we setup a new.

2.  On the new system, after the first start of outlook the normal exchange server synchronization starts and fills the standard contacts folder.

3.  The configuration of the crm client will be executed.

4.  The crm client executes the synchronization and creates duplicates in the crm-system. In this situation I expect that the crm client or crm system recognize the already synchronized contacts to the crm system.

In generally we want the synchronization of the contact between outlook and crm, but we do not want any duplicate contacts. So we are searching for an approach to avoid these duplicates.

Regards, Chris
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:36 AM
  • workaround:

before config waizard, export ure outlook contacts to pst, delete all contacts in outlook, run wizard, make the synchronize action in crm menu, import ure pst with option don´t import doubles..

greetz

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:44 AM