Backups quit running after sysdate problem! RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this gets long, but it’s a hard problem to describe.  First I’m running the most current and updated version of WHS 2011 (Version 6.1 Build 7601:Service Pack 1).  The server had a memory problem which is resolved and it was running fine, though slow with only 2gig versus the usual 4gig.  I had taken the server down to run Seatools on the hard drives for a final check and was in the process of checking BIOS settings before rebooting back into WHS.  I inadvertently change the BIOS date forward to March 2013 versus this month January 2013.  I changed it back and exited BIOS without changes, or so I thought.

When rebooted back into WHS the clients lit up with alerts that backups hadn’t been performed in sometime, which was not true at all.  The alert viewer indicated the existence of backup problems despite the fact that the Computers and Backups screen in the Dashboard clearly indicated that the clients were backed up successfully earlier that morning. I finally noticed that the server date was March 3 versus January 3.  I changed the date back to the correct date using date change functionality of the console for Windows Server 2008 R2, not the change functionality in the Settings screen of the WHS Dashboard or the BIOS.  The alerts in the Alert Viewer disappeared when a refresh operation was performed.  However, if you look at the Clients and the Server in the Computers and Backup screen in the Dashboard, they are all still showing the yellow caution alert.  Client backups will start the WSSBackup.exe (Microsoft Server Client Backup Service), but the normal process % information provided in the Computers and Backups screen in not present and nothing is accomplished (no messages, no alerts, no indications of problems).  The same results occur when a server backup is attempted except the process initiated is wbengine.exe (Microsoft Block Level Backup Engine Service).  Both the client and server backups have been allowed to run for hours before stopping and restarting the server.

I have tried several things to remedy the problem including server restarts, backup data base repairs (no problems detected), verified the BIOS date as correct and in sync with the server and WHS, searched this and all WHS forums for possible similar situations, etc…

I welcome any ideas, or better yet fixes, “simple” or otherwise, that come forward.

Thanks for any help!!!

W. J. Perry, Jr.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there any information related to the yellow alert? You could also check event log to see if there is any information related.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Shaon,

W. J. Perry, Jr.

• Marked as answer by wjperry Monday, January 14, 2013 2:00 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 1:52 PM

All replies

• This is an update to the original post.  A server backup completed.  It took about 5 hours, but according to the details found in Computers and Backups, it was successful.  However, the Computers and backups listing sates successful but still has the yellow alert warning associated.  Go figure?  Hard to know what is real!!

Thanks!

W. J. Perry, Jr.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:40 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any information related to the yellow alert? You could also check event log to see if there is any information related.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Shaon,

W. J. Perry, Jr.

• Marked as answer by wjperry Monday, January 14, 2013 2:00 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Shaon,

Simple answer, I rebuilt the server from scratch.  Now running great!

W. J. Perry, Jr.

Monday, January 14, 2013 2:02 PM