none
Legitimate Windows 7 on eBay? RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone verify a legitimate MS windows seller on eBay?  I wish to utilize the site but I do not want a future headache as I cannot afford one..or better put, I can ONLY afford to purchase once
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:08 PM

Answers

• All you have to do is read this forum back a hundred threads or so and you will see how many people have been sold counterfeit copies of Windows on eBay, the Amazon Marketplace, and other discounters on the internet.  DO NOT buy Windows 7 this way.  I did and I got stung like all the others. 

You cannot verfify eBay sellers because the crooks maintain excellent feedback ratings.  It is only as the counterfeit product keys begin to be caught by Microsoft that the crooks drop out of sight.  There is no completely reliable way to separate the wheat from the chaff prior to purchase.  One way to smoke out some of these crooks is to email them and ask, "What happens if my product key fails to activate"? Most of the crooks will email back and offer to replace bad keys. That is a dead giveaway since no legitimate seller will have a "bank" of replacement keys. Microsoft doesn't provide such keys to any reseller.  However, just because a reseller does not offer to do this is no indication that he is not a crook.

There are tens of thousands of fake copies of Windows 7 that have been produced on excellent equipment in China.  The counterfeiters are printing MSDN subscription product keys in these fake boxes.  It is an elaborate scam.  All you really need to understand is that there are no legitimate copies of Windows 7 for sale at a substantial discount.  What is an eBay reseller doing with legitimate new copies of Windows anyway?

Take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

Buy Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store, Amazon Corp, or other completely reliable dealer.  All expensive, licensed software suffers from this problem (Windows, Office, Creative Studio, etc).

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Does Newegg.com sell legitimate software Windows 7 Professional?
    Craig McGowan
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Hi Graig,

If I am looking at the same listing, at Newegg, as you: Windows 7 Professional for $264.99 (w/free shipping), then that seems like a good deal.  It's a Retail license so the Windows allows being moved to other computers (as long as it's only installed on one PC at a time) and the box will include both 32bit and 64bit disks to choose from (the product key provided will work in either one you pick)

I am unsure if you have a specific reason for needing Windows 7 Professional, but if not, you may be interested in getting Windows 7 Home Premium, for $189.99 (w/free shipping), instead.

You can go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare to see the differences between the different versions and if Home Premium fits your needs, you could save even more money.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:43 PM

All replies

• All you have to do is read this forum back a hundred threads or so and you will see how many people have been sold counterfeit copies of Windows on eBay, the Amazon Marketplace, and other discounters on the internet.  DO NOT buy Windows 7 this way.  I did and I got stung like all the others. 

You cannot verfify eBay sellers because the crooks maintain excellent feedback ratings.  It is only as the counterfeit product keys begin to be caught by Microsoft that the crooks drop out of sight.  There is no completely reliable way to separate the wheat from the chaff prior to purchase.  One way to smoke out some of these crooks is to email them and ask, "What happens if my product key fails to activate"? Most of the crooks will email back and offer to replace bad keys. That is a dead giveaway since no legitimate seller will have a "bank" of replacement keys. Microsoft doesn't provide such keys to any reseller.  However, just because a reseller does not offer to do this is no indication that he is not a crook.

There are tens of thousands of fake copies of Windows 7 that have been produced on excellent equipment in China.  The counterfeiters are printing MSDN subscription product keys in these fake boxes.  It is an elaborate scam.  All you really need to understand is that there are no legitimate copies of Windows 7 for sale at a substantial discount.  What is an eBay reseller doing with legitimate new copies of Windows anyway?

Take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

Buy Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store, Amazon Corp, or other completely reliable dealer.  All expensive, licensed software suffers from this problem (Windows, Office, Creative Studio, etc).

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:31 PM
    Answerer
  • "sport_fn" wrote in message news:92725ca4-92f6-4852-a321-50dcf35cffa4...
    Can anyone verify a legitimate MS windows seller on eBay?  I wish to utilize the site but I do not want a future headache as I cannot afford one..or better put, I can ONLY afford to purchase once

Chances are very high that any purchase on eBay will turn out in the end to be counterfeit.
    Chances are also high that you can find deals nearly as good from legitimate sources.

DO NOT purchase software of any kind from eBay unless you are prepared to pay for it twice!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I am all for a legal and legitimate - who are these legitimate sources for less than $300 plus applicable taxes - far beyond my financial means
    Craig McGowan
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:06 PM
  • If you can't afford a legitimate copy you sure can't afford the fakes.  Buy a fake and a month later you will have to buy a legitimate copy anyway.  The cheapest way to buy Windows is when you buy a new computer.  Other than that you may be able to save 20% off MSRP with a major reseller, but you will not save 50% and get legit Windows 7. 
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:20 PM
    Answerer
  • You have to ask yourself "where are the eBay sellers getting their copies of Microsoft software from?"  Chances are they, like you, are buying on the cheap and ending up with non-genuine, pirated, counterfeit copies!
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:30 PM
  • As to EBay, here is the question I have to ask.  If I was a retailer or had sufficient funds to purchase companies,,,or just legitimate licenses from Microsoft, and I wished to reach a large consumer market in today's economic logisitcs, why wouldn't I also undersell, under overhead, on eBay if I could maintain sales flow and profit?.  I know the degree of markup for any Retail ticket item from perishables, to electronics so I know there is still a margin.  Even in car sales when a vehicle is sold for less than $100 over wholesale, the manufacturer  pays the retailer to contiue to liquidate inventory of the product..
    Craig McGowan
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:09 PM
  • As the saying goes, "if it looks to good to be true, then it is."  It's your money.  Go for it.

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:41 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry I have to do this.  My Mother, almost 90 now, still does it to me so I get to pass it on

"If it looks too good to be true, then it is too good to be true."  never end a sentence with a preposition, the rest being obvious

but still not an answer to my question.  However, I do understand your Predicament

With that understood, Can ANYONE not working for Miscrosoft  answer my query? Or  is everyone on this Microsoft Forum employed by Microsoft...oh jeesh that might just be the obvious

Craig McGowan
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Microsoft sells software to Microsoft Authorized Independent Software Distributors.  You must have the means to purchase thousands of licenses at a time to be considered for a distributorship.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I don't work for Microsoft.  Never have.  I am just a user.  The only poster to this forum who works for Microsoft is Darin Smith.  The rest of us are volunteers.  Anyone with "MVP" or "Microsoft Community Contributor", etc. is a volunteer who has been recognized by Microsoft for helping posters in the forums.

never end a sentence with a preposition,

My abbreviated quote did not end in a preposition.  It ended in the verb, "is".   And most times what people think are prepositions are in fact part of separable verbs, as in "look up the book" and "look the book up".  "Look up" is a separable verb.  Historically the aversion to ending with a preposition comes from the sixteenth and seventeenth century grammarians.  Prior to those days Latin was the only language whose grammar was formally studied.  The first English grammarians modeled English grammar on Latin.  It is impossible to end a sentence with a preposition in Latin, hence the injuction carried over into English pedagogy.  The grammarians of the time did not grasp the Germanic roots of basic English.  Separable verbs are demonstrably Germanic.  (Yes, I have a degree in English, Univ of Texas Arlington 1968).

What predicament am I in? 

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Marvelous retort.. I must acquiesce.  A Gentleman and a Scholar.  What was I thinking in looking at "is" as "on" where in my oversight I left myself uncorrected.  In addition, I realize that I am not your elder but rather your contemporary and that gives me pause to accept that there is hope for me still to grasp this Computer Science Technology buggerall with some degree of comprehension, or at least tolerable skill

The predicament one would find oneself when employed or under the tutelage of said company if providing certain information. You must interpret my mistake as you had written "we" in reference to ending sales of WDWs XP in another post and I could not but make the connection

Craig McGowan
    Monday, June 13, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Greetings Carey

I am aware, though the amount of money still boggles my mind, of the logistics and how much money it would take to purchase thousands of licenses at a time.  I had known people   who have more than enough funds to make such an endeavor. Unfortunately, knowing, isn't being or owning.  Whether or not the one person I do know or had known personally who has done it is a distributor or not I cannot say.  I have not spoken with said person in over 10 years nor can I locate him at this time, much to my chagrin,   I do know that 10 years ago, he was on eBay but  that is the extent of my knowledge

Craig McGowan
    Monday, June 13, 2011 11:49 PM
  • It was a verbatim quote from Microsoft in which the word "we" was used by the corporation in its notice of reassurance of continuing support after sales ceased.

"On" can be a preposition or part of a verb.  Try parsing the vernacular "hit on".  It matters whether you are getting an idea or visiting a bar.  :)

Such particles can refer to position or action.  Whether something that ends a sentence is prepositional is determined by context.

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Does Newegg.com sell legitimate software Windows 7 Professional?
    Craig McGowan
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Yes they do.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Most excellent Carey. Thank you ;)

Newegg currently has MS Windows 7 for $264.99 and it doesn't specify but I assume it has both 32 bit and 64 bit

My benefactor went from a "Are You #@!%$ me to possible with "Can you please find a better price if possible - even $5 or $10 or anything.  I am Asking EVERYONE Please if you know where it is on Sale or rebate or anything.  I'd like to get a definite okay - I've sure worked hard     enough today looking and I always have Microsoft Full retail XP to fall back on but I would really like to be secure for the next 10 -15 years and not just the next 3,,,or 2-1/2 whichever it is that MS will continue to support the XP  .....and I really loved XP...I so hope that I can at least adapt to 7

Craig McGowan
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hi Graig,

If I am looking at the same listing, at Newegg, as you: Windows 7 Professional for $264.99 (w/free shipping), then that seems like a good deal.  It's a Retail license so the Windows allows being moved to other computers (as long as it's only installed on one PC at a time) and the box will include both 32bit and 64bit disks to choose from (the product key provided will work in either one you pick)

I am unsure if you have a specific reason for needing Windows 7 Professional, but if not, you may be interested in getting Windows 7 Home Premium, for $189.99 (w/free shipping), instead.

You can go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare to see the differences between the different versions and if Home Premium fits your needs, you could save even more money.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Hi Darin

My parents  bought a system from Magic Micro about 10 months ago and opted for the Windows  7 Home premium but they didn't know at the time that it would be OEM.  They also found out that it did not support their XP peripherals and they spent quite a bit more on a new scanner and printer.   They learned too late what I have been asking questions about on this forum and elsewhere that they should have gotten MS Windows Pro.  They just found out the last couple days through my newly learned knowledge that their OEM WDWs disk is tied to the system they  purchased

They informed me last Sept that they would pay to replace my 1995 computer and gave me a max dollar amount to stay within.  (My active income ceased some 15 years ago) The last 10 months I have been researching hardware, mostly Mother Boards and CPUs as to dependability and price and hoping that the latter would drop with time so I might build the most current and best system possible to last the next 10 plus years staying within the budget.  Unfortunately, with fuel prices and increased freight and other charges, that didn't happen.  In fact, certain components that I watched went up in price.

Along with choosing the system components, I was taking what I thought to be the price range of MS WDWs 7 Professional into consideration, including that offered by Magic Micro.  A search for WDWs on line does not include major retailers but offers places excluding Microsoft (that I figured was mainly product specs) like eBay, Tiger Direct, etc where even legit prices were less than $160   but what I did not realize, was that I was looking at OEM.  I had not thought to question whether there was anything but one product.  The only answer I had received until yesterday was that OEM meant Microsoft propriety or sold by Microsoft which I took for a Legal and Brand.  A few days ago, the Mother Board I wanted that had a high rating -(everything I picked   had a min of an 80% 5egg on Newegg) went on a 2 day sale for $30 off and Free Ship and the Corsair Dominator Mem had also just dropped $20 - it dropped another $10 the day after I ordered everything, go figure) Finally, all components could be pirchased with enough remaining for the OS.   So I ordered all my components EXCEPT Microsoft Windows 7 Professional and I had about $50 to spare on the total offered PLUS I had about $80 - $100 in MIR so I figured I was good to finish with the MS Windows 7 Pro,,,,,,and then I hit this Forum to get a definitive answer on OEM and learned more than I bargained for or expected.   so it didn't go over so well when I offered that I needed $150 more after I had researched so painstakingly the entire package and price.    Nevertheless, basically, it is my fault.  On the bright side, I do own MS Windows XP full retail....not sure if it is 32 or 64 bit or even if there is one or the other _ I have very little computer technical knowledge.  But on the down side, it will only be supported for a short time.  Sometimes the Best Laid Plans,,,, and so it goes

Craig McGowan
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Hi Craig,

It sounds to me like you can't really claim "I have very little computer technical knowledge.".  You researched and are building your own computer from scratch and (and I think this is key) you know when/where to look for help.  Don't tell anyone, but I am completely self taught when it comes to computers. I got to were I am now doing the same things you have been doing; Research, Hands-on practice and Asking questions. So, in my opinion, you have the main points of 'computer technical knowledge' down pat.

Good luck with your build,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:19 PM
  • T

Thank  you Darin for the vote of confidence.  Oh if I were younger with a better capability of retention.  It is true that I am intelligent at least, MENSA, and I have found that I also have what Most of my fellow brainiacs are severely lacking, and that is Common Sense. With that said, I only have a modicum of common sense.  Nevertheless, I am not without.   Research, asking questions, and hands on experience are the keys.  Still, in my humble opinion, I am definitely technically computer retarted.  I knew I needed a case.   I knew I needed a Mother Board, Power supply, memory, and a hard drive and operating system.  I also figured I needed an optical drive in order to make installations of software.  I only ordered a blu-ray burner/player so I do hope it will also read DVD and CD as it is the only drive I have coming.  I do not own a blu-ray player or any blu-ray disks.  You may ask, why in Heck did I get a Blu ray instead of a DVD burner.  Well, I am looking to the future and IF the one I ordered does what I need until then, I am good,,,otherwise, I am screwed.  Plus the blu-ray burner was on sale and until the other day, had all high praise....which reminds me of something my Mother once said, that I would buy dirty socks if they went on sale,,,not so but why not leave her with that..My son told me I needed a graphics card.  I do not currently have one in the computer I am replacing,,,or at least putting in another room.  What I researched was which of these had the highest user rating.  What they actually do is another thing entirely as I am ignorant of most of the details or what their actual purpose might be outside of the obvious like the power supply.  I do not know what ieee means or the difference between USB2 or 3.  I know I can currently plug my camera into a USB port and the computer helps me the rest of the way...As to this Forum.  I had some help getting to this page.  In frustration on NOT getting a satisfactory answer as well as receiving diametrically opposed answers as to the meaning of OEM, I tried calling Amazon, because a Live person sometimes answers the phone.  The woman who answered told me it was a very good question (I heard that one before) but she did not attempt to answer it.  She instead left the line for a bit and returned with the link to this forum...You might call it research that led me here.  I call it just plumb dumb luck...As far as the computer build, I surely hope my friend knows what he is doing,,from scratch just HAS to be cheaper.  Thank you Darin, Colin, Andre, Carey, and Noel *what happened to you Noel? You gave me hope of finding software in my price range?) for all your help and attention**Thank You

Craig McGowan
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:41 AM
  •   tagged the wrong url for this price above

http://www.softwaremedia.com/microsoft/windows/windows-7-professional.html?ovchn=NXT&ovcrn=FQC-00129&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=   $235.74 free ship

Craig McGowan
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:35 AM
  •   tagged the wrong url for this price above

http://www.softwaremedia.com/microsoft/windows/windows-7-professional.html?ovchn=NXT&ovcrn=FQC-00129&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=   $235.74 free ship

Craig McGowan

There is a profile online at http://start.cortera.com/company/research/k4j1nus4p/softwaremedia-com-inc/

The problem isn't the seller in this case.  It is the seller's source.  Based other reports we have seen in this forum, a number off sellers in this enterprise size must have been sold counterfeit product as "wholesale overstock".  Call the seller and express your concern.  Don't be shy about asking how they can sell so cheaply.  See if they will disclose their source.  You hope it is Microsoft.  They are not displaying an Authorized Microsoft Dealer logo so they must have a wholesaler source.

To get an idea of just how dangerous it is out there, take a look at this "wholesale" source and you tell me what you think is going on.

https://wholesalesoftwareprovider.com/

So make the call.  It is likely that the person you contact will answer your questions fully once you explain your concern about all the counterfeit product out there.  If not, don't buy from them.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:37 PM
    Answerer