VLK to OEM Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• My friend's hard drive failed and she bought a new one - but she could not find her original CDs that came with the computer.  So I tried installing XP Pro using a VLK XP Pro CD I had - and then using Key Changer to change to her OEM key that was on the side of the computer - but it tells me it's invalid.  Is there any way to change from VLK to OEM without ordering new CDs from her manufacturer?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:06 AM

Answers

• You need to order the Windows XP recovery or restore CD from the computer manufacturer and reinstall Windows XP.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Windows Product Key Update Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

I had this same scenario where i was unable to change from my vlk xp version to a oem key version of xp pro. I use this MS tool and it worked perfectly.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:57 PM
  • As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:35 PM

All replies

• You need to order the Windows XP recovery or restore CD from the computer manufacturer and reinstall Windows XP.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Windows Product Key Update Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

I had this same scenario where i was unable to change from my vlk xp version to a oem key version of xp pro. I use this MS tool and it worked perfectly.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:57 PM
  • As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:35 PM