Console not "All there" ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I added a desk top to my WHS and something is not working correctly.  When I open the server console, part of it is missing.  Looking at the icons on the top row, looking to the right and you get to the server network status.  Well, I have nothing past that point.  I can not expand the window.  When I look at some of the items in the top row, the bottom information is not all there.  Cut off on the right side.
      Any idea as to what is wrong?

R.T.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:26 AM

Answers

• You could try uninstalling the connector from the PC with the issue, then reinstalling it. The RDP graphics drivers on the client are not the issue; they're used on the server when you connect via Remote Desktop or the console.

That it works in a full remote desktop session isn't a surprise.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:47 PM
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I added a desk top to my WHS and something is not working correctly.  When I open the server console, part of it is missing.  Looking at the icons on the top row, looking to the right and you get to the server network status.  Well, I have nothing past that point.  I can not expand the window.  When I look at some of the items in the top row, the bottom information is not all there.  Cut off on the right side.
      Any idea as to what is wrong?

R.T.

Hi,

Do you have any add-ins installed and is there anyway you can link to a screenshot?

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:49 AM
  • L. Jones,

I have a few add-ins but the windows open correctly on both my laptops.  I will work on the screenshot.  It has been a l-o-n-g  time since I have done that.

R.T.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Please check screen resolution setting of the desktop. Should be minimum 1024x768 to fully accomodate WHS console. AFAIK WHS console is fixed to 998x705, so it won't fit on 800x600 desktop 
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Please check screen resolution setting of the desktop. Should be minimum 1024x768 to fully accomodate WHS console. AFAIK WHS console is fixed to 998x705, so it won't fit on 800x600 desktop 

Yes, the screen is 1024 X 768.  I am still working on that screen shot that has been mentioned.  Coming soon, I hope. . . .

R.T.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 12:12 AM

• http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1668/badconsole.jpg

As can be seen, the main window opens, but the "information" part is cut off.

R.T.
    • Edited by R.T._CAT Friday, May 8, 2009 2:16 AM Fix
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Hmm. Possibly this is an issue with rdp graphics driver on the client system

Can you please try and update or reinstall the graphics driver on the desktop computer? If you are already using the latest graphics driver for your card you could also try an earlier version. In each case best uninstall the current graphics driver

If that doesn't fix it you could also try the solution described overhere. It's a slightly different problem but could be worth a try.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 7:44 AM
  • Interesting. I would be surprised if this was an issue on the client computer. (It's not impossible, though...) Your console is currently sized to about 770 x 510. The Remote Desktop window it runs in looks to be correctly sized however.

Have you rebooted your server? Also, you could try right-clicking the desktop outside of the console window to see if you have normal access to the desktop properties. If you do you could see what your display settings on your server are like in that window.

Also, could you let us know what add-ins you have installed? I can see two, and probably there are more. Have you recently installed any add-ins? Uninstalled any?

Friday, May 8, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Interesting. I would be surprised if this was an issue on the client computer. (It's not impossible, though...) 

Console does open correctly on two other clients.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Well, a reinstall of the display driver did not fix the problem.

Server has ben rebooted recently.

A right click outside the console window shows 1024 X 768.
    Installed add-in states I have WHS Customizer, Webguide 4, Whiist.  But perfectDisk 10 is also there in the top bar.
    All add-ins have been on the server for a long time w/o any problems.

Something else interesting on the new problem desk top:  If you open remote desk top and then open the console, it works just the way it should.  Full display of the console items.   ???

R.T.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:38 AM
  • You could try uninstalling the connector from the PC with the issue, then reinstalling it. The RDP graphics drivers on the client are not the issue; they're used on the server when you connect via Remote Desktop or the console.

That it works in a full remote desktop session isn't a surprise.

• Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:47 PM
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:43 PM
  •   The uninstall and reinstall did the trick.  The display is now OK.

Thanks,

R.T.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Good. I'm not sure why it was needed; I don't know why the console helper app on the client (which does nothing more than establish a remote desktop connection with particular parameters) didn't set the console up with the correct parameters...

Interesting that I posted the above at "2:43 PM"... My wife and I were at a movie at that time. :)

Monday, May 11, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Well. . . . . The only answer there is you must have a ghost in the house that works your system when you are not at home. . . . . . .

R.T.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:20 AM