sata data drive not seen at whs install RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running the WHS eval version for ~100 days and am happy enough with it to have purchased a retail copy. My configuration is an Intel 865PCD motherboard (BIOS vP15) with a 2.8 GHz P4, 2 x 512 MB DRAM, an 80GB WD PATA hard drive on channel 0, a Phillips DVD on PATA channel 1 and a 750GB WD SATA hard drive hooked to a Silicon Image controller (3512A, BIOS v4.3.79). It's been long enough since I first set up the eval copy I don't remember exactly how I managed it, though I don't recall any heroic efforts. However, when I now try and install the full version of WHS as a re-install (in order to retain my backed-up data on the 750GB drive), only the 80 gig WD PATA drive is recognized. I've been in and out of the BIOS setup multiple times, trying different configurations of which hard drive is listed first and which drives are listed as second and third boot devices (obviously keeping the DVD as the first boot device). However, no configuration I can find so far allows the WHS start-up to see the SATA data drive. I've also tried continuing with the install showing just the 80GB drive, thinking I might be able to later add or recognize the 750GB drive, but install has failed each time.  I've also tried to "add drivers" at the early point where WHS install displays the located drives and tells you that if these are all of them, add drivers so the rest can be recognized. Those that I've tried to add (e.g., starting with WD or scsi) pop up a DOS-looking box, grind away for a bit, then return the error message "txtsetup.oem"not found.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    • Edited by jsyv2 Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:29 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:20 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the advice. I finally removed the 750GB SATA and its controller and installed WHS on the 80 GB drive. I then added back the controller card and installed the drivers through WHS, and finally plugged in the SATA drive, so all appears well, as far as WHS seeing the drive. My question now, please, is does a simple method exist for either deleting the "data" portion of the original 80GB PATA d:\ drive or somehow getting WHS to recognize the 750GB SATA drive (e:\, at this point) as the preferred "data" drive. I'd obviously like to have all future back-ups made to the larger drive. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Never mind - I see there is a simple wizard to add the larger drive. Thanjks again for the help and advice.
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:10 PM
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:07 PM

All replies

• Probably you added the SATA drive after you built your server, and installed drivers for the SATA controller when you did so. You should check with your motherboard or add-in controller's manufacturer on the proper way to prepare an "f6 floppy" (normally used for installing storage drivers at the "Press F6" prompt at the beginning of text-mode setup); you can use the same techniques, but put the drivers on a USB flash drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Thanks, Ken. I don't think I technically added the SATA drive after turning the pile of parts into the server, though I suspect the Intel motherboard disk didn't natively support the SI card. I'll see if I can find info on creating the F6 floppy (or USB). I presume this means I need to boot to whichever of these I use first, then point the prompt to the DVD and fire up the WHS install, correct? Appreciate the suggestion.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:41 PM
  • If it's an add-on card, and the drives are running in SATA or AHCI mode, then I'm pretty certain you installed drivers for it at some point.

An "F6 floppy" is used when installing Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003. At the start of setup for those operating systems there is a prompt that appears at the bottom of the screen: "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver..." The drivers that you load at that prompt must be on floppy (because the pre-installation environment for those operating systems doesn't include much in the way of drivers for other hardware) and must follow a particular format. That format will also normally work with Windows Home Server's Vista-like initial setup screens, though it doesn't have to be on floppy.

One thing that could be problematic is if your SATA card doesn't have a way to create an "F6 floppy" (I've seen this if the card couldn't be used for a boot device). There's not a lot of advice I could give you in that case, other than to try a different card.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:18 PM
  • It is an add-on card running in SATA mode, so you're probably right that I must've installed drivers, probably from an installation CD which I presume came with the card. I simply don't recall how I got them into the mix prior to installing the WHS evaluation copy, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't via a floppy or USB key. However, the fact that I've been running the eval version of WHS for over 3 months now and merrily backing up the home network with nary a complaint out of WHS suggests to me that I should be able to duplicate that behavior with the full-blown WHS. Too bad MS doesn't offer a simple upgrade path from eval to full and makes you reinstall the whole flippin' thing from scratch.

Thanks again - I'll let you know of my success (or lack thereof) after trying the F6 gig tonight.
    • Edited by jsyv2 Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Well, no luck. After screwing around with various hard drive configurations in the BIOS, I was finally  able to launch the text-based part of the install for the first time (up until now it's been right into the GUI-based piece) and I saw the F6 option. Unfortunately, I only had the controller's inf files on a USB stick and that wasn't recognized. I went ahead with the install, since watching all the drivers and bits being installed during the text-based part, I thought maybe the SATA controller's driver might be among them, but when it launched the GUI part (which jumped way past the beginning - evidently some parts of it had stuck from previous attempts), once again only the 80GB drive showed up, partitioned as OS piece and data piece. I decided to try and install on the 80 gig drive and after an hour or so, I got the final error message that the install had failed due to being unable to connect (I'm assuming this means "to the internet", which is also puzzling, as the network port is connected to the router; oh, well, yet another problem). What was interesting to me was that I was able to get to the WHS desktop and run the main program, which showed a) the 80 gig drive and b) the 750 gig drive, with my backed up PC's from the eval install of WHS, though the line was greyed out and when I highlighted it, the description was "missing". Seems that at some level, WHS sees the 750 GB drive and (hopefully) my earlier backups are intact. Sure is frustrating not to be able to get at them, though.

I'll make a floppy today and have another run at it tonight, but this lack of being able to connect through my router is causing concerns now, too.

Any thoughts on any of this?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Ken? Still out there? Any suggestions as to how I force the text mode to begin with? Seems like every time (ok, 19 out of 20 times) I fire up the install, it goes right to GUI Mode. I've got what I hope will be an F6 floppy now, but I can't friggin' use the thing, as I keep going straight to WHS GUI install.

Thanks for any advice you care to share.
    • Edited by jsyv2 Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:20 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Ken? Still out there? Any suggestions as to how I force the text mode to begin with? Seems like every time (ok, 19 out of 20 times) I fire up the install, it goes right to GUI Mode. I've got what I hope will be an F6 floppy now, but I can't friggin' use the thing, as I keep going straight to WHS GUI install.

Thanks for any advice you care to share.
    You can't skip the WinPE GUI portion at the beginning.  You must go through the entire GUI/text/more GUI setup every time you install.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. I finally removed the 750GB SATA and its controller and installed WHS on the 80 GB drive. I then added back the controller card and installed the drivers through WHS, and finally plugged in the SATA drive, so all appears well, as far as WHS seeing the drive. My question now, please, is does a simple method exist for either deleting the "data" portion of the original 80GB PATA d:\ drive or somehow getting WHS to recognize the 750GB SATA drive (e:\, at this point) as the preferred "data" drive. I'd obviously like to have all future back-ups made to the larger drive. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Never mind - I see there is a simple wizard to add the larger drive. Thanjks again for the help and advice.
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:10 PM
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:07 PM
  • There is no way, to remove or exclude the DATA volume on the system drive.
    This volume will be necessary for maintaining the tombstones (which are pointers to the real file storage location with multiple disks) and with only 2 disks also the shared folders with duplication enabled will need space on that drive for the duplicates.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:43 PM