Relationship in MS-CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I am not clear about the different type of relationships i.e 1-M,M-1 and M-M in MS CRM.

Can anybody calrify the meaning of these relationship and the way to configuring the same.

Regards

Nagaraj

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:49 PM

Answers

• With CRM 4.0, the range of entity relationship options has been increased and you can now create the following:

Additional CRM 4.0 Entity Relationships Description
    One-to-Many System-System A system entity is linked to another system entity. The child system entity has a lookup field to associate it with a parent system entity.
    Self-Referential An entity linked to itself. For example a Case can be linked to a master Case.
    Multiple Relationships Between Entities For example the Account entity might have two relationships with a Contact entity - a primary and secondary Contact
    Many-to-Many System-System, System-Custom & Custom-Custom The one that everyone has been waiting for. Not only will this remove the need to build a “joining” entity, but you have control over how the relationships show up in the UI

The customizations UI will only show entities that are valid for a given kind of relationship. For example, if an entity is not available for N:N relationships the “New N:N..” button won’t appear.

To determine the same programmatically, i.e. whether two entities are eligible to participate in a relationship, the CRM Metadata Web service exposes the following messages:

CanBeReferenced: Checks whether the specified entity can be the primary entity (one) in a one-to-many relationship.

CanBeReferencing: Checks whether the specified entity can be the referencing entity (many) in a one-to-many relationship.

CanManyToMany: Checks whether the entity can participate in a many-to-many relationship.

GetValidManytoMany: Returns the set of entities that can participate in a many-to-many relationship.

GetValidReferencedEntities: Returns the set of entities that are valid as the primary entity (one) from the specified entity in a one-to-many relationship.

GetValidReferencingEntities: Returns the set of entities that are valid as the related entity (many) to the specified entity in a one-to-many relationship.

Sample Code:

public static void relationshipsEligibilityTest(MetadataService metadataService)

{

GetValidManyToManyRequest getValidManyToManyRequest = new GetValidManyToManyRequest();

GetValidManyToManyResponse getValidManyToManyResponse = (GetValidManyToManyResponse) metadataService.Execute(getValidManyToManyRequest);

foreach (string nextName in getValidManyToManyResponse.EntityNames)

{

Console.WriteLine(nextName);

}

}

see my blog

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:25 PM