none
Forums need hierarchical menu/selection RRS feed

• Question

• Way back in the old days, when MSDN used the NNTP newsgroups, the MSDN web based news reader had a hierarchical navigation tool for selecting the right newsgroup.  When the first forums came into existence, I made a suggestion about having a hierarchical forum selection tool and was told that the forum development team understood it was a problem and was working on a solution.

Now, in at least the 3rd version of forums, the forum index page is tremendously long and hard to use - and still no hierarchical list of forums.  I think this is a key contributor to the number of off-topic threads that have to be moved by moderators.  I know I get bit by the problem more than I would like to.

When, if ever, will there be a more user-friendly forum selection page?

Thanks,

Dale
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:35 AM

All replies

• Bump
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:44 PM
  • I got a response in an other thread, that they have at least read the problem.
    Is there any hope you improve categories etc?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Thanks Silvercode.  The response you got in that thread was to move the thread to the correct forum and indicated that the responder probably was not the person who needed to read the thread.  So, I'll bump this again.

Not to be nasty, but this is three weeks now.  So much for "active" participation by the forums team in this forum.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Sometimes they answer something quite soon, but not much happens soon.

It feels like they have only 2 people taking care of a big project plus moderation of the forums at the same time. They have several forums (MSDN forums, Old MSDN forums, TechNet, Microsoft, Newsgroups, Connect) instead of one centralized. Each forum has propably separate people tailoring the software instead of using Microsoft standard forums software.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:44 PM