Shared Media confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Help!  i'm soooo confused with this.  i've gotten Windows Home Server up and running, all of my computers are backing up and i have user accounts set up for everybody.  with my computer, i have it set to backup the entire C drive.  but when i go into the recent backups, i don't see the folder "My Music".  My Pictures, My Downloads, and indeed everything else appears to be there.  Where did it go? it's not excluded from the list of things to back up. My Videos is also missing.....it shows up on my wife's backups though.....

secondly, and maybe inter connected, i can't for the life of me figure out how to include folders in the Shared Folders portion of the Home Server.  specifically, i would like to have all of our media automatically duplicate into this portion and then have our Sonos system point to it directly so the individual computers don't have to be on in order to use it.

i'm quite sure it's simple, but i just can't seem to grasp it.....any suggestions would be much appreciated......

thanks,

doug

Friday, June 18, 2010 10:22 PM

All replies

• For the first question, different versions of Windows put "My Pictures" etc. in different locations on the hard drive. So you should look under C:\Documents and Settings on XP, or C:\Users on Vista or Windows 7.

For the second question, there's nothing built into Windows Home Server to do what you want. You can copy files manually, or (through the use of any number of strategies, such as file copy utilities, commands built into Windows, etc.) you can "roll your own".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 18, 2010 11:50 PM