Which is Better: Windows Home Server or Windows Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a copy of Windows server 2003 and am getting ready to build a home server on it.

I am not sure if i am missing out by not switching to WHS.

Any thoughts?
    Friday, September 12, 2008 12:37 AM

Answers

• The question is really, what you want the server to do and how many work you are willing to invest.
    Windows Home Server has a few core features, which are making it valuable for me in comparision to a normal Windows Server:
    - fully automated backup of attached clients
    - easy full or single file restore (in most cases)
    - easy configurable remote access
    If you want those features, Windows Home Server is a must have.
    If you prefer some other features, especially Active Directory functionality, which is not be offered by Windows Home Server, the choice is also clear.
    So as already has been said in the first answer - without more details delivered by you we can not really give you a direction to help in your decision.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:19 AM

All replies

• Ogmosic said:

I currently have a copy of Windows server 2003 and am getting ready to build a home server on it.

I am not sure if i am missing out by not switching to WHS.

Any thoughts?

Is that all you want to know? ;)

Honestly, no one can answer that question except for you.  You know what you want out of it.  We don't.  But the basics are: if you stick to the WHS concept and don't go (too much) outside of the box, it works great.  If you want to setup your own website/DHCP server/DNS server/FTP server/etc, you're probably better off sticking with 2003.

The best way to find out whether WHS will fit your needs or not is to get the 120 day eval and try it out for yourself.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 1:17 AM
  • The question is really, what you want the server to do and how many work you are willing to invest.
    Windows Home Server has a few core features, which are making it valuable for me in comparision to a normal Windows Server:
    - fully automated backup of attached clients
    - easy full or single file restore (in most cases)
    - easy configurable remote access
    If you want those features, Windows Home Server is a must have.
    If you prefer some other features, especially Active Directory functionality, which is not be offered by Windows Home Server, the choice is also clear.
    So as already has been said in the first answer - without more details delivered by you we can not really give you a direction to help in your decision.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:19 AM