Introducing StableBit DrivePool for the Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Announcing...

StableBit DrivePool for the Windows Home Server 2011

This add-in will let you add multiple hard drives into one combined storage pool on the Windows Home Server. You can create folder shares on this storage pool, and each folder on the pool can either be duplicated or not duplicated. Files placed in duplicated folders will be protected against single drive failure by being placed onto two separate hard drives.

Features:

• Combine all your hard drives into one big storage pool (except the system drive with the OS).
    • Add and remove drives from the pool at any time without re-partitioning or manually moving folders.
    • Create duplicated folders on the storage drive pool that are protected against single drive failure. If a drive fails on which a duplicated file was stored, the contents of that file will remain readable even without the drive.

Screenshots:

The new folder view:

Add a folder:

Add a folder:

Added a folder:

Folder seen from another computer, just like any other UNC share:

The drive pool:

The features list and screenshots are based on the current working ALPHA, so you can understand that there are some things still missing and subject to change.

This is the first announcement that we're making, there will be a more formal announcement and a fully functional Technical Preview version available in the coming weeks.

For any questions, you can contact us @ http://stablebit.com/Contact

Also, check out the StableBit Scanner (http://stablebit.com/Scanner) for Windows Home Server v1 while you're there. It is truly awesome.

Alex,

StableBit.com

Friday, February 11, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• Sounds good!  I hope you can get it working well and it'll be
    inexpensive enough to buy.

Does it present 1 drive letter to the base OS for the pool?

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, February 11, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Yes !

Impatient for testing that !

Friday, February 11, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for the info. Looks promising.

Btw, The Stable Scanner does not install on WHS 2011..

Announcing...

StableBit DrivePool for the Windows Home Server 2011

This add-in will let you add multiple hard drives into one combined storage pool on the Windows Home Server. You can create folder shares on this storage pool, and each folder on the pool can either be duplicated or not duplicated. Files placed in duplicated folders will be protected against single drive failure by being placed onto two separate hard drives.

Features:

• Combine all your hard drives into one big storage pool (except the system drive with the OS).
    • Add and remove drives from the pool at any time without re-partitioning or manually moving folders.
    • Create duplicated folders on the storage drive pool that are protected against single drive failure. If a drive fails on which a duplicated file was stored, the contents of that file will remain readable even without the drive.

Screenshots:

The new folder view:

Add a folder:

Add a folder:

Added a folder:

Folder seen from another computer, just like any other UNC share:

The drive pool:

The features list and screenshots are based on the current working ALPHA, so you can understand that there are some things still missing and subject to change.

This is the first announcement that we're making, there will be a more formal announcement and a fully functional Technical Preview version available in the coming weeks.

For any questions, you can contact us @ http://stablebit.com/Contact

Also, check out the StableBit Scanner (http://stablebit.com/Scanner) for Windows Home Server v1 while you're there. It is truly awesome.

Alex,

StableBit.com

Have a nice day!
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Currently the pool is a mounted drive @ C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders.

It is similar to a drive letter, except that is doesn't consume one.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:44 PM
  • StableBit Scanner is for WHS v1.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:45 PM
  • YES! Thanx for developing, I'll sure gonna buy it if it works as intended!
    One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:58 PM
  • >>StableBit Scanner is for WHS v1.

Then it's not worth very much to those of us testing WHS 2011. It may be interesting, but DE seems to work OK on WHS v1.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Gotcha, I understand and that should work.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Does this work with whatever application issue caused MS to drop DE?

George

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Will these drives be readable outside of the WHS 2011 system, ala WHS V1?  Meaning, in case of system failure, would I be able to remove a drive that was part of the drive pool, attach it to another system, and be able to read the data off that drive?
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:23 PM
  • On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:02:12 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

Then it's not worth very much to those of us testing WHS 2011. It may be interesting, but DE seems to work OK on WHS v1.

StableBit Scanner has nothing to do with DE and was mentioned as an aside
    in the OP with a clear statement that it was for WHS V1. The product being
    pre-announced here is StableBit DrivePool, not Scanner and the DrivePool
    product is of interest, though IMO there's really no point in announcing
    what currently amounts to vapourware.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    It is ten o'clock; do you know where your processes are?

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:40 PM
  • To the people at Stablebit... Thank you!!!! Early days i know and it may or may not be succesful. But at least youre trying! Looked at UnRaid and Flexraid. Whilst the latter seems to have someone dedicated to making it work in WHS 2011 it is only " a part time project" for him. And what Stablebit seem to be promising is something very similar to the original DE. Best of luck. Gonna get all my documents and music backed up onto my nas. Then im willing to be a Stablebit beta guinea-pig!! ;-)
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Looks great, and if its as well as it looks MS owe you for this.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:26 PM
  • "Alex.Covecube" wrote in message news:3ccdc82c-dfa9-4eda-afc2-43567bcd215e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

StableBit Scanner is for WHS v1.

Oops, looks like I misread. Or didn't read far enough. If you are indeed working on something similar to DE for WHS 2011, like the rest of the guys and gals, I say, "Thank you!"

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:52 PM
  • There appears to be at least one more DE replacement out there.

Drivebender, <http://www.drivebender.com/>

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

"Alex.Covecube" wrote in message news:3ccdc82c-dfa9-4eda-afc2-43567bcd215e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

StableBit Scanner is for WHS v1.

Oops, looks like I misread. Or didn't read far enough. If you are indeed working on something similar to DE for WHS 2011, like the rest of the guys and gals, I say, "Thank you!"

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:28 PM
  • I'm not sure what caused MS to drop DE. DE v1 works great. I use it all the time. Unless you need the absolute fastest performance that is. In that case, go with RAID.

I can only guess why MS dropped DE v2. They might have tried to make DE v2 to be more like RAID to appeal to businesses and consumers alike, but that approach proved fruitless.

My technology is not attempting to emulate RAID and it will evolve over time in terms of performance and features.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Yes, all files are stored in standard NTFS format. You can even re-add a previously pooled drive to a new WHS 2011 install without data loss.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:31 PM
  • I respectfully disagree. I think that people need to know that something is being done about the situation... and maybe even inspire some competition.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:36 PM
  • There appears to be at least one more DE replacement out there. Drivebender, <http://www.drivebender.com/>

=============

Hey, thanks, BullDawg. And it looks like release of this one is imminent. I'll be caught trying it, even if I mess up and have to do a reinstall. :)

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I respectfully disagree. I think that people need to know that something is being done about the situation... and maybe even inspire some competition.

======

Alex, when you're ready to beta test, let us know. I think you'll have more than a few testers.

And, I stand by my statement that StableBit Scanner is no good to those of us testing WHS 2011. :)

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hey, thanks, BullDawg. And it looks like release of this one is imminent. I'll be caught trying it, even if I mess up and have to do a reinstall.

=======

Well, not a full-blown release, a beta release. I've signed up to test. :)

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Count me in for testing. I will re-install WHS2011 to test this!... I'm sure i have an extra HDD somewhere......
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:22 AM
  • signed up for testing drivebender, but he isn't showing anyting on his site about it. 

I like the screenshots Alex gave for his Stablebit app so I definately want to test it!!!

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:33 AM
  • signed up for testing drivebender, but he isn't showing anyting on his site about it.

No, but it's only a few days until a beta's released.

I like the screenshots Alex gave for his Stablebit app so I definately want to test it!!!

I didn't look at all the screen shots, since there were so many of them. Guess I should have, but by the time I figured out that it was actually for WHS 2011, I just haven't gone back yet. I will though.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:51 AM
  • I didn't look at all the screen shots, since there were so many of them. Guess I should have, but by the time I figured out that it was actually for WHS 2011, I just haven't gone back yet. I will though.

======
    OK, I went back and looked at the screen shots. Looks pretty good and hopefully, even I can follow it.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:56 AM
  • I know ill be interested in testing this!
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:48 AM
  • I'll be interested in testing this as well. Any idea as to the projected MSRP?
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:31 PM
  • The big question is if the shared folders created with this tool are also privileged and accessable through the remote-web access.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Is there an upgrade path from WHS V1 -> WHS2011 + Drive pool ?

I have nearly 14 TB of data to migrate some how and an "inplace" upgrade would seem to be my only option..

Will Drive pool have a wizard or similar to "port" my DE shares and files over?

Friday, March 11, 2011 12:58 AM
  • >s there an upgrade path from WHS V1 -> WHS2011 + Drive pool ?

I don't think so, for the reason that there's not an upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:42 AM
  • One would think that once the system drive is in place with this DE workaround installed, it would be a relatively easy matter to install data drives from WHS v1 and allow v2 to make an inventory of all the files. The real challenge would be porting the old tombstone from the original v1 system partition, so WHS v2 could reliably tell what should be where. Without that tombstone, it becomes more of a kludged workaround. 32 bit vs 64 bit plays no role in preventing data disk migration from WHS v1. That's just an excuse for not implementing a viable feature.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:02 AM
  • One would think that once the system drive is in place with this DE workaround installed, it would be a relatively easy matter to install data drives from WHS v1 and allow v2 to make an inventory of all the files. The real challenge would be porting the old tombstone from the original v1 system partition, so WHS v2 could reliably tell what should be where. Without that tombstone, it becomes more of a kludged workaround.

Hmmm, I agree with this as far as the data goes. I would love to see it happen; however, I believe I've read that the data between the two systems will not be compatible. I hope I'm wrong, though.

32 bit vs 64 bit plays no role in preventing data disk migration from WHS v1. That's just an excuse for not implementing a viable feature.

Not in data migration, no, but the OP asked about an upgrade path from V1 to V2, which would require an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. I don't think this can happen, or Microsoft would make it so.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, March 11, 2011 7:42 AM
  • This is very promising. really hope this does everything DE did before it. this is exactly what is missing. good work. any eta and rough guesstimate on a price???
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:21 PM
  • This is very promising. really hope this does everything DE did before it. this is exactly what is missing. good work. any eta and rough guesstimate on a price???

Not from me. I haven't installed it yet, but plan to when I rebuild WHS 2011. Right now I have everything unplugged because of "errors in the client database". I'm tired of repairing them every two to three days.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:44 AM
  • will this require a fresh install or can we just add it and then start pooling drives??
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:24 PM
  • will this require a fresh install or can we just add it and then start pooling drives??

I don't know. I know very little about StableBit DrivePool, but I will probably install it when I 'rebuild' WHS 2011. Hopefully, we'll get a new build to test pretty soon, and I can do it then. If not, as soon as I get the time, I'll rebuild with this RC version.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:33 PM
  • This is a good place for Q & A's about this (beta) product right now http://forum.covecube.com/

will this require a fresh install or can we just add it and then start pooling drives??

Have a nice day!
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Just wondering how people are going with testing of StableBit Drivepool? 

If its good this is something I would like to use with Vail RTM

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:55 AM