New Add-in: AutoExit (shutdown/reboot/wake on lan/send message...) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've found a new add in which rocks.

It is called AutoExit for Windows Home Server 2008 and you can find it here: http://www.asoft.be/prod_autoexitwhs.html

It has lots of functionalities like shutting down, rebooting (also with force), it also has Wake On Lan capability. :-)

Messages can be sent to the different machines and all actions are stored in statistics.

You can also remote desktop to the different clients and server so there are lots of handy options to manage your machines.

I tried this RC version and it works very good, haven't had any problems as of yet.

Thumbs up for this one!

Regards,

Jeroen

Monday, August 27, 2007 8:28 PM

All replies

• Yeah, I've been using it for a few weeks now. I suggested he post it here, but he never did..... I don't think....LOL
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:55 AM
  • The only thing that works for me is the remote desktop and server remote desktop. I get a 2023(or something like that) error when trying to send a message, and shutdown/restart never work at all. someone want to elabarate on this, cause I have had no answers from the support people at there site....
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Yeah, WOL does not work for me either. I added a few more links to programs on WHS. I like it so far.
    The WOL part I'm not worried about. Heck, the other add in's for WOL have issues and don't work well either...
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Did you look in the help file already?

Probably the shutting down 'problem' is because you didn't add the administrator of the home server to your client machine. The user you are working with on your WHS has to have administrator rights on the clients.

The shutdown/reboot works here but you have to make sure that this setup is done for your machines or it won't work (just like any other tool that doesn't have a client application running on the clients)

And for your net send problem, you probably get the 2273 error (2032 doesn't exist).

This is because the 'Messenger' service isn't running. From XP SP2 onwards Microsoft decided to disable this service by default and even removed it from Vista (for security reasons) and that will be your problem.

Regarding your WOL problem, this will certainly also be something in the setup.

WOL can fail for many different reasons: You have to enable it in your bios, your network card has to support it, enable it in Windows,... It would be best that you look up a guide on the internet on how to do this, e.g: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29941/53/1/2/

Hope this helps you...

All this setup isn't the fault of the add-in, but it is all because Microsoft doesn't enable these features by default for security reasons. No one would like it that his/her machine suddenly shuts down without knowing where it came from...

Regards,

Jeroen

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:31 AM
  • well here is the deal I install the WHS version and then the client on all the other machines. You figured that if it was using windows permissions and services it would have said that somewhere. There is no info on there old page, and o nthe new one it only states the permission for the user. so I have now uninstalled all the client programs from all the machine seeing how that does absolutly nothing nd adds no benafits and have added the WHS user to the persmission for the shutdown and restart. I needed the restart because the kids at home will jsut say no when I try and remote to the machine, but a forced shutdown will give me time to login remotely before they do since they will walk away from the PC. I wish there was a forced remote as wel then I woul not have to go through all that trouble. Anyways thanks for the help and I'm still trying to work out the message thing cause that would be really handy as well but I have Vista on all my machines so it looks lke some other way will will have to be found.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:32 PM
  • I just downloaded this Add-in and really like the potential. The built in remote desktop and messages etc are great. You were right about the "Messenger service". Turned it on in XP, works fine.

I woulder if you could explain how to add the  "administrator of the home server to your client machine" in a bit more detail. When I go to the Control panel "Add users" in XP there seems no option to add a Server user or administrator.  Is there a more elaborate way to do it.

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:27 AM