anti spyware abilities RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can we expect onecare 2.0's spyware detection to be on par with freeware applications like Lavasoft's adaware and Google Pack's spyware doctor? So far the only thing onecare is not picking up is tracking cookies, and such. I have never used defender, so i don't know how good it is, but how extensive are onecare's virus/malware/spyware definitions going to be? i really like the concept of a onecare circle, and i am hoping that Onecare's abilities surpasses its peers.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:53 AM

Answers

• One Care does not remove cookies. Most cookies are not a threat but they do make browsing the internet better. Cookies allow you to personalize web pages and save your log in information. There are some cookies that track the sites you visit which makes them a privacy threat but certainly not a security threat. The "badness" of cookies is way over- hyped especially by companies that make antispyware apps. Having a large "body count" after a scan seems to validate their effectivness. If you want to block most tracking cookies, use the tools available in your browser.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 2:28 PM

All replies

• OneCare is not currently designed to note every tracking cookie, as those others are. It should warn of cookies that are suspicious, but not ones which are needed to access certain sites. You can control cookies by adjusting your IE7 settings.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 7:13 PM
  •  SEE95776 wrote:

OneCare is not currently designed to note every tracking cookie, as those others are. It should warn of cookies that are suspicious, but not ones which are needed to access certain sites. You can control cookies by adjusting your IE7 settings.

What about malicious cookies, any intention of integrating firefox scanning support into OneCare? Or will OneCare only scan IE7.0?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 7:19 PM
  •  

This I do not know, as I use only IE7.  I do not know of future integration plans as I am only an OC user, not an OC developer. I believe that OC would block malicious cookies from Firefox,, but a moderator would know that better than I. I do know that if you have both browsers on your machine, OC recommends IE7 as default with Phishing Filer turned on.
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 4:44 AM
  • If there is an intention to make OC a complete protection package against threats, i don't see why they wouldn't integrate this, i feel like this microsoft won't support OC firefox scanning because it would give a user an incentive only to use their own browser. However, reading the latest statistics on firefox, there seems to be a lot of users, and it would be quite a bonus if microsoft implemnted firefox scanning.. It would make the purchase price of onecare greater, a better value.

i was just reading mozilla's statistics, and they claim

"Mitchell Baker: As best we can estimate our user base it's somewhere between 75 and 100 million users ...it's a lot!"

If that's true, that certainly is a lot, and windows users can definitely benefit from onecare scanning firefox as well....

(i'm not a secret advocate working on behalf of mozilla, i am merely throwing in my suggestion)
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 5:03 AM
  • One Care does not remove cookies. Most cookies are not a threat but they do make browsing the internet better. Cookies allow you to personalize web pages and save your log in information. There are some cookies that track the sites you visit which makes them a privacy threat but certainly not a security threat. The "badness" of cookies is way over- hyped especially by companies that make antispyware apps. Having a large "body count" after a scan seems to validate their effectivness. If you want to block most tracking cookies, use the tools available in your browser.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 2:28 PM
  • so privacy threats are not a priority or concer for microsoft/onecare?
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 7:28 PM
  • The privacy implications of cookies are relatively insignificant and can be controlled through your browser. Why add a function that already exists on every computer? As an example, most spyware apps flag my live365 cookie as spyware. What the cookie does is record my preferences for radio stations, music genre and log in information for my Yahoo Jukebox. One person's spyware cookie is another person's convenience. Frankly, I don't know what is a priority or concern for Microsoft or One Care, but I do know that cookies are not a security threat regardless of the tripe you read on some websites.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 7:59 PM
  • thanks!

so how can i properly test onecare's anti spyware abilities? should i download all software 'infected' with spyware during its installation?
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 8:02 PM
  • That sort of testing is best done in a laboratory by professionals. I don't recommend intentionally installing malware.As an end user what matters most is how well the program performs for you. You can check this by occasionally using an online scanner like Trend Micro Housecall or any other of the many free online scanners, and also use a program like Ad Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy to do an occasional scan. You will know that One Care is effective when you perform these other scans and they find your computer clean.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 8:13 PM
  • thanks, well, speaking of, i recently installed symantec anti virus recently, and did a search and it didnt find anything except one tracking cookie, so i am pretty confident in onecare's abilities so far.

thanks!
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I know you are concerned about malware, but please aware that running two antvirus programs on your machine is not recommended (e.g., Symantec AV and OC together). Both use real-time scanning and can often conflict with each other, causing performance slowdown at least and more serious issues at best. The other scans mentioned above are online based on demand scanners and do not remain active on your machine after use.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 9:33 PM
  • thanks for the advice, my computer went absolutely haywire when i installed norton antivirus 2007, my computer became unusable for a few hours, thankfully everything is back to normal after i uninstalled both and reinstalled oc beta. i almost blamed oc, but i figured its just because i had two real time scanners just like you said.

thanks.
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 10:01 PM
  • If you want to use two Anti-Virus programs to ensure your system is clean, keep OneCare installed and run Nortons from the CD. The procedures are easy and only require you download the Updated definitions from the Symantec site before you do the manual scan.

I have done this and so far Nortons did not find anything that OneCare did not find.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:30 PM
  • There is an easier way to check one care - use the Norton On Line Scanner.

No conflict there and very simple

It always gives me a claen billl of health but warns me I have no AV software! Sly way of slaggin off OneCare

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, Ray. Yes, using an online scanner can be a good doublecheck, though while it runs, your system may slow down.

-steve

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:47 AM