Errors when backing up backup DB with BBDB RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve finally embraced the “backup your backup database” mantra, and purchased an external drive to do this. Unfortunately, I can’t get the “WHS BDBB” add-in to complete a backup. Version info for BBDB is 1.0.1.6.

Every time I try, it fails in the same spot, 29% completed. A message box comes up saying:

---------------------------

Error backing up files, canceling backup.

---------------------------

I’ve dug around in the all the event logs, and there’s very little to go on. Each time it fails, there’s nothing of note in the Home Server log, and only one event in the Application log:

System.IO.IOException: The parameter is incorrect.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSBDBB.HomeServerSettingsExtender.DoBackup()

The external drive has 1TB, so it’s not running out of space. The WHS console is reporting all my drives as healthy, and all recent backups have gone off as planned.

I’ve also dug through the text logs under the “Application Data” folder, and I’m not seeing anything that looks germane, although I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Pietrek
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:28 PM

Answers

• In case anybody cares, the problem appears to have been that the external drive was formated out of the box with FAT32, rather than NTFS. Thus, the 4GB .DAT file copies were failing with an ever so helpful "Invalid parameter" message.

On the surface, this seems like a quick'n'easy check that WHS BDBB could warn about.

Matt

Matt Pietrek
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:48 AM

All replies

• In case anybody cares, the problem appears to have been that the external drive was formated out of the box with FAT32, rather than NTFS. Thus, the 4GB .DAT file copies were failing with an ever so helpful "Invalid parameter" message.

On the surface, this seems like a quick'n'easy check that WHS BDBB could warn about.

Matt

Matt Pietrek
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Good bug, and good suggestion on checking the disk prior to attempting the copy. I'll add this to my to-do list for the next release version.

Thanks,
    Alex

http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:51 AM