Cusomizing music (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Matthew posted on 02-06-2010 2:28 PM

I just started working with Songsmith and am really liking it!  I have the chords down and the vocals for a piano ballad.  But now I want to add drums to part of the song.  I want to add bass for part of the song.  I also want to make the strings swell for part of the song, then die down, and then be silent.  I want to remove the two measures that Songsmith put at the beginning of my song, and also remove the two measures Songsmith put at the end.  Is it possible to do any of this this?  Did I fail to find a tutorial that explains how to do all this?

I'd also love to tell Songsmith exactly what piano notes to play for every beat (like the computer is playing the piano for me); maybe not for the entire song, but for specific parts.  Is this possible?

~Matt

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 03-04-2010 10:39 AM

Glad you're having fun with Songsmith! 

To remove the measures that are added to the end of a song, you can go to the "options" menu and set "Include Ending Bars" to "off".

You can also use the "mixer" button to adjust the levels of bass, drums, etc. in your song.

If you want to turn keys, bass, etc. off for _specific_ parts of a song, there are some special symbols you can add to chord names to do this.  Check out the "tips and tricks" section on our online help page (look at "advanced rhythm notation"):

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/howto.html#tipsandtricks

But at some point, when you want to start doing really advanced stuff, I recommend that you consider exporting your song to a MIDI file and taking it into a more complete music sequencing program, such as Cakewalk's Music Creator product line.  We've deliberately tried to keep the Songsmith UI simple and not re-invent the wheel in terms of music editing, but we've also made sure that audio and MIDI files exported in Songsmith can be easily re-used in more advanced programs.  So as you get more advanced with your song creation, consider adding some other tools to your collection!

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:21 PM