Convert my Inspiron Zino HTPC to home server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Inspiron Zino with AMD Athlon dual-core X2 3250e, 8Gb Ram, 320 Gb hard drive, running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I need a server to backup 3 Windows 7 PCs and 2 Snow Leopard Macs, and have NO experience with WHS. But I hear it's what I'm looking for, and I do have alot of experience with Windows 7.

So, I would like to add WHS to this Zino -- ideally in dual boot configuration -- and load it up with 2x1Tb USB drives. Questions:

1. Is this possible?

2. Advisable?

3. If it's not advisable, what would my best alternative be? The pre-installed HP hardware is too large for my needs and the Acer is too slow. I want something small and quiet.

The other thing I am considering is a Mac Mini Server, which would be a lot more expensive. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Arthur P. Johnson therealapj@live.com
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:24 PM

Answers

1. Not really. Windows Home Server will format all drives available to it on installation.
    2. No.
    3. The HP is smaller than you probably think.

An alternative that minimizes hardware would be to host your home server as a guest operating system using a virtualization tool like VMWare. Really, though, the hardware requirements for a home server and a HTPC are very different. A home server is intended to be powered up 24x7, it's generally fairly small, has room for a reasonable amount of storage expansion (up to 8 TB in the HP units), it's quiet and energy efficient, etc. A HTPC is likely to have a fair bit of processing power to deal with transcoding, video playback, gaming, etc. and it's usually not powered on if it's not being used.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:23 PM

All replies

1. Not really. Windows Home Server will format all drives available to it on installation.
    2. No.
    3. The HP is smaller than you probably think.

An alternative that minimizes hardware would be to host your home server as a guest operating system using a virtualization tool like VMWare. Really, though, the hardware requirements for a home server and a HTPC are very different. A home server is intended to be powered up 24x7, it's generally fairly small, has room for a reasonable amount of storage expansion (up to 8 TB in the HP units), it's quiet and energy efficient, etc. A HTPC is likely to have a fair bit of processing power to deal with transcoding, video playback, gaming, etc. and it's usually not powered on if it's not being used.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Thanks, I think that answers my question pretty thoroughly.
    Arthur P. Johnson therealapj@live.com
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:53 PM