Local Windows user as a CRM user? RRS feed

• Question

• I've taken a backup of a CRM 4 server and restored it as a VMware virtual hard disk image. I've got the virtual machine running successfully in VMware, but I cannot access CRM. The real server is, of course, a domain member and all the CRM users are domain accounts. I've tried manually hacking the SystemUserBase table in the database to change the DomainName for one of the users to CRMSVR\Administrator ("CRMSVR" is the server name). However, when I try to access CRM while logged as that user it still tells me "No Microsoft Dynamics CRM user exists with the specified domain name and user ID".

Is it possible to get CRM to recognise a local user account as a CRM user? If so, what do I need to do?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:40 AM

Answers

• To amplify Leon's response, install CRM on your virtual machine and use a temporary organization. Make a backup of your original CRM data and copy that backup to your virtual machine. You will need to make sure your virtual machine is either a domain controller, or in a domain. Then from the SQL 2005 Management Studio do a restore. Then from the Deployment Manager on your server (Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Dynamics CRM -> Deployment Manager. From here do an Import Organization and select your restored data. the Import process will offer you the opportunity to match CRM user accounts with Active Driectory users.
    Larry Lentz [Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP]
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Evgeny4 -

You're correct that that the virtual PC is 32-bit only - and Virtual PC does not support 64-bit OS as a guest. - If you need to test using 64-bit you'll need to build your own test platform.

I recently built a 64-bit virtual test environment using vmware and then migrated my CRM database to it using the redeployment tool. - (using the process that Larry detailed.)

You'll need to set up the VM PC as a new domain and work through the networking configuration needed. - I used the existing Virtual PC demo as an guide as to how to configure DNS etc.

The nice side effect is that unlike the Demo VPC, your new VPC will not expire.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:30 AM

All replies

• In this scenario, CRM uses AD for authentication and needs to be able to authenticate you against a crm domain it will not be able to authenticate you based on a windows pc login.

A relatively easy way to accomplish this is to migrate your database to one of the demo virtual pc's - those images are self-contained with thier own domain controller etc.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Thanks, Scott. I don't think that'll help me in this case, because I need to test something on a 64-bit machine and the demo virtual PC is, as far as I know, 32-bit. But I'll certainly keep that in mind for future scenarios.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Have you tried backing up and re-attaching the CRM DB through the Deployment Manager in the virtual environment?

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:26 PM
  • To amplify Leon's response, install CRM on your virtual machine and use a temporary organization. Make a backup of your original CRM data and copy that backup to your virtual machine. You will need to make sure your virtual machine is either a domain controller, or in a domain. Then from the SQL 2005 Management Studio do a restore. Then from the Deployment Manager on your server (Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Dynamics CRM -> Deployment Manager. From here do an Import Organization and select your restored data. the Import process will offer you the opportunity to match CRM user accounts with Active Driectory users.
    Larry Lentz [Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP]
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Evgeny4 -

You're correct that that the virtual PC is 32-bit only - and Virtual PC does not support 64-bit OS as a guest. - If you need to test using 64-bit you'll need to build your own test platform.

I recently built a 64-bit virtual test environment using vmware and then migrated my CRM database to it using the redeployment tool. - (using the process that Larry detailed.)

You'll need to set up the VM PC as a new domain and work through the networking configuration needed. - I used the existing Virtual PC demo as an guide as to how to configure DNS etc.

The nice side effect is that unlike the Demo VPC, your new VPC will not expire.

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:30 AM