Facilitation and Answer RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi.

The questions posted on the forum have no allways a real answer, but sometimes facilitates the discussed problem.

What if with a "Make as Answer" will appear "Make as Facilitation(alleviation, easement)"

Best regards, Sergiu
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:40 PM

All replies

• This is what "Vote as Helpful" is for, but it is not very often used.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Yes, but the thread remains as "No Replied" and does not change the icon...

And also "Helpful" may be ideas and suggestions not necessary direct linked with the discussed problem.

The moderators cant filter the threads being "marked" as "no helpful" cause "no replyes" includes the "Helpful" threads.
    Best regards, Sergiu
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:21 PM
  • I don't see where you are going with this.  95% of all threads in these forums ask for an answer to a question.  Maybe you can identify graduations in various posted responses to the question.  But that doesn't really help anybody, the answer is the goal.

I suspect what you are really looking for is a way to gain recognition from posts that are not marked as the answer.  I saw you complain in one thread about it.  Well, you do, you get points for responding to a question.  But OPs are usually pretty Darwinian about it and pick the one post that really answered their question.  Knowing how to read a question is a skill and it takes practice.  On that particular thread, I guess that the OP didn't give you the answer because you provided information that he didn't need.  Questioners not telling enough about what they know, what they tried and what they saw is all too common.

Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Yes, but the thread remains as "No Replied" and does not change the icon...

And also "Helpful" may be ideas and suggestions not necessary direct linked with the discussed problem.
    If it were up to me I would get rid of this whole Answer business and just have Vote as Helpful (or Useful, or whatever) as most forums do. Or do without such features altogether, like the newsgroups.

These forums have way too many features, IMHO, and these features dominate the bug reports and suggestions, ignoring for the most part usability features which really need improvement.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Hans. You are wrong.

I have no "points syndrome", and I don't know why you are so sensible on this point :)
    I am not sure in your statistical sources about 95% and not 97% of people searching the answer.

An "Answer" to a solution can be found if it exist. There are a lot of question on what you can't give a prompt answer. And in reality a suggestion just facilities your task. This is in the real word.
    I have multiple questions that have no response, or the moderators forced a response, that I personally not consider as a satisfied one.

From other part, what the "helpful" answer is made for? I think for the same purpose.

I don't understand your logic about "that particular thread".
    I think you should be a little more modest in yours opinions. I suppose you are talkin about the "Raising the combo box text changed event inside user control" where the man transparently quoted my answer, and said that he used both solutions, so logical both should be marked as answers.
    I just dont enter in the details of that problem (the event you noted occurs only when the SelectedIndex property has changed).
    Best regards, Sergiu
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Whell, the "Answer" or "Facilitation" are used for indicate the satisfaction of the eventual replies on a question.

The "consultants" should know what is the satisfaction level of the questioner.

So, we can define 3 degrees of "satisfaction":

1) "Answer" - the question found a acceptable real solution.

2) "Facilitation" - the question does not block anymore the questioner. But the proposed solution does not help that partially to the posted problem or question.

3) "Has replies" - somebody tried to help the questioner, but any solution has been found.
    3*) "No replies" - nobody answered the thread.

Best regards, Sergiu
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:06 PM