none
Doing people's homework?

Question

• Are there any guidelines here for doing people's homework?

I really like to help people out if they are stuck on something, but should we really be providing the complete solution for people's homework?

For example, a mesasge like this (paraphrasing): "For my class, I need to create a form with a list box, text box, three buttons and an array. How do I do this?"

Or do we just not care what our solutions are used for and leave it to the person's honor code to act appropriately?

www.insteptech.com
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:08 PM

All replies

• It is frowned upon, it doesn't help the student.  But no, there's no formal guideline or forum rule.  I guestimate the community attitude at about 80% con, 20% pro.  Let caring how your solution be used be your guide.  Consider that this student might show up for an interview in your office someday and carry the same accreditation you do.
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Thanks for your thoughts.

I was thinking the same.

But every time I answer one of these with: "Check this link xxx to get some ideas" or "what specifically are you having trouble with", the next person provides the full solution. So I thought maybe I was being too careful with my responses.

Thanks again.
    www.insteptech.com
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:32 PM
  • >"Check this link xxx to get some ideas"

I always encourage responders to write slightly more than just a link. This sort of line is often used by (lazy) spammers to get people to go to their site, so I prefer to see some text in addition

either something like "where Paul G. shows how to use XXX to solve this"

or outlining the answer as in:

"what you need to do in brief is XXX YYY ZZZ . This article has more (link)."

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:39 AM
  • I think if someone wants to copy code, he wont make the effort to learn  just because MSDN turns him down.

He might resort to other forums or better, google...

Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if you find it helpful]
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:24 AM
  • That is a good point.

I have seen some people post code as their "starting point" on their application where they have no idea what the code they posted is even doing. So obviously they are getting code from several places and trying to get it to work.

I guess if someone just really does not want to learn programming, they are not going to learn just because we send them a few links.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    www.insteptech.com
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:05 PM
  • I tried a different approach than the ones mentioned here. It didn't work very well.

I wanted to give general suggestions and hints at first and then make them more specific later on. My hope was that the OP's follow-up questions would show exactly what he/she didn't understand. Then, I could make really good, specific suggestions without giving the answer for the homework.

But, it didn't work out that way. I ended up making a fool out of myself. More than usual. :-)

Oh well. Better luck next time, I guess.

I hope you haven't given up struggling to find a better way to help students.

Francis

Monday, November 9, 2009 7:42 AM