OneCare, Kaspersky vs Trend Micro RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm sorry to intrude but I have just heard about OneCare and would appreciate your opinion.
    We have eight computers in our home network.  I have various antivirus software from McAffee, Trend Mircro, Kaspersky and Norton and not a system-wide program.  I also use Windows Defender and Anti-Spyware on several.  The programs came with each computer as they were bought.  They are costly when it is time to renew.
    What would you do to protect the network?  Is OneCare the way to go and what would the price be? 
    Thankd your thoughts and response.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 5:59 PM

Answers

• Deciding on what solution works best for you is a personal choice. All of the major vendor's products do a good job of protecting the PC, though may still miss something now and again - none are perfect.

If you wish to use OneCare on all of your PCs, it will require 3 subscriptions as each subscription is good to up to 3 computers. That means you would need to subscribe with 3 different LiveIDs and there is no central management for all 8 computers. A Circle of computers, up to 3, can be managed from a hub PC in the Circle.

Cost is $49.95 per year in the US per subscription, but you can generally find deals. Amazon is selling OneCare for 19.99 plus shipping, for example.

Note that OneCare will no longer be an option for you after your subscriptions expire at the end of 2009. It will be fully supported through 2010, but I suspect that renewals will not be allowed towards the end of 2009. See the announcement at the top of the General topic folder for details.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:04 PM