Problems with 2nd PC after uninstalling onecare.. RRS feed

• Question

•  

i had One care installed on my main computer, everything was working fine until i decided i wanted it gone(i had the latest trial version).. now my other computer (theyre both running vista) can only connect to a network called Onecare_6367 (or something like that) with limited activity.. One care was never installed on the 2nd computer and its completly uninstalled from mine.. how can i fix the connectivity problem? or how can i fix that network? ty.
    Friday, May 9, 2008 10:26 PM

Answers

• Your router documentation should have information on how to reset the wireless security. What OneCare did is secure your network by turning on WEP security. The process would have provided you with instructions on how to configure the wireless security on the laptop to match the new settings of the network.

Typically, there would be a reset button on the router which will reset it to the default settings, which would be no security in most cases. Once you do this, assuming you don't need special settings for your router to access your ISP for your Internet connection, your router password will be reset to the default and the security for wireless will be off. The laptop will then see the default connection and connect automatically.

What is the make and model of your router? And who is your ISP?

You can contact the router manufacturer and or your ISP for help in resetting the router and configuring it for your ISP if needed.

-steve

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:17 AM

All replies

• I moved your post to the General folder.

I have never heard of such a problem, particularly since the second PC never had OneCare installed on it. I can't see how it could have been affected by a trial on the main PC.

Is the main PC a desktop and the PC with the problem using a wireless connection? Did OneCare configure wireless security for you perhaps? If so, consult your router documentation on how to change the security settings for your wireless network connection on the router and then reconnect the wireless laptop to the reset network.

Did the secondary computer work fine while OneCare was installed on the main PC?

-steve

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:50 AM
  •  

The PC with onecare is a desktop, the other computer is connected thru a wireless router. when i installed onecare i guess it did change the wireless settings, making it private and changing the name for onecare_6367. I tried looking into my router documentation and couldnt find how to change the network name, or privacy setting, im a new user of vista and im really not familiar with it :/

I have no idea if it worked with onecare installed, since i pretty much left it on my computer for about 12hours. I think ill i need to do is access the wireless connection thru my own computer, but i have no idea how too with vista :x

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Your router documentation should have information on how to reset the wireless security. What OneCare did is secure your network by turning on WEP security. The process would have provided you with instructions on how to configure the wireless security on the laptop to match the new settings of the network.

Typically, there would be a reset button on the router which will reset it to the default settings, which would be no security in most cases. Once you do this, assuming you don't need special settings for your router to access your ISP for your Internet connection, your router password will be reset to the default and the security for wireless will be off. The laptop will then see the default connection and connect automatically.

What is the make and model of your router? And who is your ISP?

You can contact the router manufacturer and or your ISP for help in resetting the router and configuring it for your ISP if needed.

-steve

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:17 AM
  • Oh, and you do not need to connect to the router wirelessly from the desktop since it is likely wired.

Your router documentation will explain how to access the router from a wired computer, typically by using your web browser with an address similar to http://192.168.1.1 (the numbers will probably be different) and then logging on with the administrator password, but OneCare may have had you change that from the default, too, so the reset procedure may be required in order to access it.

-steve

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:20 AM
  •  

my router is a DI-624 rev c http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=6

my isp is videotron

i tried reseting my modem, restarting both PC, and i still only the that same network which i get limited connectivity too. Im looking into my router's site to find informations about how to reset it like you said.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:28 AM