Windows Mesh Folders vs. Live Desktop - Totally Confused RRS feed

• Question

• First, a couple of quotes from an Introduction (http://dev.live.com/blogs/devlive/archive/2008/04/22/279.aspx) "Now the fun begins. With a couple of mouse clicks, you can easily add an existing (or new) Windows folder to your mesh. As you add a folder to your mesh, it quickly replicates it to your other mesh devices." And " Live Desktop enables you to easily access your mesh anytime, anywhere, using only a Web browser." Everytime I set up Windows Folders, NOT on Drive C:, Live Mesh, sooner or later, insists on putting them in Live Desktop which evidently lives on Drive C: Can I simply define where I want my mesh folders to live on different PCs and not necessarily the same drive but the same folder name and NOT on Drive C and have the mesh sync them without insisting they live in Users\whatever? Another way of phrasing the question is: is it the case that, due to the Web browser access, mesh folders must exist on Drive C:?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

• You can add any Windows Folder (with some exceptions) to your Live Mesh as long as that source folder exists on a locally attached drive (non-removable, non-network).

Once you add a folder on PC#1 to the Mesh, it is automatically synchronized with the cloud based Live Desktop. You can modify the sync settings to not sync with the Live Desktop.

If you have other PCs in your Mesh, the newly added folder will be offered to it by appearing as a faded blue folder on the target PC's desktop. If you click that blue folder you have the option to accept the folder, in which case it ends up staying on the desktop of that PC or changing the location of the target to another existing location using the browse button. When you browse to an existing folder, you are merging them, even if the target location is empty. It the target contains files already, they are merged into the Mesh and you will need to address any conflicts that arise.

The default target can't be pre-defined - it is always offered to the desktop of the target PC and you need to configure each offered folder to point to where you want it to go or accept the default location. If you simply click through the dialogs, it ends up on the desktop of the target and you will need to remove it from the Sync before moving it.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:34 PM

All replies

• You can add any Windows Folder (with some exceptions) to your Live Mesh as long as that source folder exists on a locally attached drive (non-removable, non-network).

Once you add a folder on PC#1 to the Mesh, it is automatically synchronized with the cloud based Live Desktop. You can modify the sync settings to not sync with the Live Desktop.

If you have other PCs in your Mesh, the newly added folder will be offered to it by appearing as a faded blue folder on the target PC's desktop. If you click that blue folder you have the option to accept the folder, in which case it ends up staying on the desktop of that PC or changing the location of the target to another existing location using the browse button. When you browse to an existing folder, you are merging them, even if the target location is empty. It the target contains files already, they are merged into the Mesh and you will need to address any conflicts that arise.

The default target can't be pre-defined - it is always offered to the desktop of the target PC and you need to configure each offered folder to point to where you want it to go or accept the default location. If you simply click through the dialogs, it ends up on the desktop of the target and you will need to remove it from the Sync before moving it.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:34 PM

Thank you for the very prompt response! Yes, I have successfully added folders from different PCs using the manner described above and yes, they do ask about merging which is fine. I am quite sure, however, that even when I tell Live Desktop not to sync, sooner or later, folders having the same name as  will appear in the Live Mesh section of Users\. I will continue testing to double check and report back.

I could use some clarification on the Live Desktop comment. If the sync settings are modified to not sync with the Live Desktop, does this, in effect, reduce the Mesh to something like Live Sync? That is, is it necessary to sync with Live Desktop to have the cloud work and thus to allow full sync among all defined PCs whether on-line or not? (What I'm trying to achieve - and Live Mesh seems to offer - is have the cloud always have the latest and greatest content of the folder and any Mesh defined PC coming on-line to receive the updated version unless it is the last one to have modified the folder). Sorry I'm so slow at getting this, much thanks.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Okay - I overlooked one item.
    In Windows Explorer, there is a shortcut within your Users folder that contains shortcuts to the Live Mesh folders. It is simply a view of the folders, they don't actually exist within the Users folder. Since Live Mesh includes an Explorer Shell extension, this is a place where you can see all of the folders in your Mesh.

For your second paragraph - if you choose not to sync a folder with the Live Desktop, sync happens peer to peer, but the client still needs to log into the Live Mesh service - no data would then go to the Live Desktop. Traffic may still flow through the service to go from PC1 to P2, though.
    Yes, if you include the Live Desktop - any PC that changes a file will upload that revision to the Live Desktop and any other PC will download from the Live Desktop or a peer when it comes online.
    -steve

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:39 PM
  • OK, think I've got it - much thanks. BTW, the thread "I need a simple explanation of the new blue folders in Mesh" seems to confirm the persistence functionality of the Live Desktop folders and for good reason: "You cannot delete the light blue shortcut folder from the Live Desktop as it is still there for management of the folder sync options even though the contents are not synchronized with the Live Desktop." I believe they can be temporarily deleted but will always find their way back because of the management need.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:48 PM
  • You are welcome and you are correct about the shortcuts on the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:11 PM