Can't configure backup on 2 of 3 PC's RRS feed

• Question

• I convinced a friend to solve his backup issues by installing WHS.  I have it a home with 3 Vista PC's.  No problem!  I have been trying for a week, off  & on , to get this network setup, but have only been able to get 1 PC to do backups.  The other two, I have not been able to configure the backup.  It says that the drive are not NTFS, yet they are.    All three machines are XP Pro.  I have followed numerous sugestions here, such as run chkdsk, check netbios, re-installing the server software, running the toolkit, etc. all to no avail.  The connector troubleshooter now only runs completely on 1 PC, with 1 error - DNS.  That's not the case, as the router and the PC has DNS IP's entered.  It still mentions firewall, using CA, but I can get to the server to copy files, load the connector, load the trouble shooter, etc.  the other PC now freezes on the troubleshooter after 14 of 35 tests.  The test of the 56000 port is OK.  I have also run the repair and cleanup of the database, and the problem still exisits.  Help!!!!

rgregl
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• Sometimes a disk which has been converted from FAT to NTFS will display this behavior. Additionally, sometimes a partition management tool can create the same effect. Is either of those situations a possibility?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Not that I'm aware of.  One was a Toshiba Vista laptop that was downgraded to Xp Pro.  The other is a Desktop that has always been XP Pro.
    rgregl
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hi,
    please check the event log of the clients for related errors or warnings (especially COM+, DCOM and VSS failures may be interesting for further diagnostics, together with the Windows Home Server errors).
    What do you exactly mean with "configure backup"?
    To you use an encryption tool like TrueCrypt?
    Are all PCs in the same subnet?
    Did you reboot the server at least one time during all the troubleshooting attempts?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I have been trying to get this running for over a week.  I have restarted all machines several times while running chkdsk.  Configure backup is one of the tabs at the top of the Home Console.  You must configure a backup before you can run one.
    rgregl
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Restarted also the server?
    You must not manually configure a backup to get it running, since this happens usually automatically during the installation of the connector software. This feature allows you to exclude drives if you dont want them backed up.
    Still missing your details about the event logs on the clients.
    From which source did you install the Connector software?
    Located on \\server\software\home server connector software?
    I have seen configuration of backups fail during the installation of the Connector software due to a version mismatch (hidden in event log), if an older connector was still installed.
    Which are the version numbers shown on the console of your server and which date have the connector msi files in above folder?
    Is there a 3rd party firewall or security suite involved?
    Olaf
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I don't have access to the server this evening.  I am at home and the server is at my friends.  I thought that one of the methods I used to try to resolve the issue was to un-install the connector software on the workstation and re-install from the server.  I will insure that is the case first thing in the morning.  Where do I look for the event logs?  I tried to look from the Console but there is no link to follow.  Yes, I restarted the server and the workstations.  There is Computer Associates security suite on all three machines.  It will be tomorrow morning before I can respond again.  Thanks for your help.
    rgregl
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Hi,
    the client event logs are on the client PCs (not on the server) and can be found via Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:01 AM
  • The error in the Event Log is "Windows Home Server protocal mismatch.  This computer uses protocal version 6.0.1800.36 but DSTSERVER uses protocal version 6.0.1800.0.  A connection can not be established."

The connector software is being installed from the server/software/home directory on the server. 

The Connector files on the server and on the workstations are both dated 01/19/2009.

There is a CA Security Suite on all three machines, but I have tried to connect after un-installing the suite to no avail.

It appears the problem is the difference in the protocals, but how do I fix it on the server?
    rgregl
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:17 PM
  • Hi,
    I have seen this message before, and if the console shows the identical numbers in Settings/Ressources, this should be fine (as mentioned I faced this problem also a few times and always it was enough to restart the server and try the installation again).

Anyway, later today Power Pack 2 for Windows Home Server will be released to Windows Update, so you could try if this fixes the behavior.

Olaf
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:52 PM
  • So are you saying that you believe that the update will resolve the protocal differences?  Since it can't connect, I can't get a backup.
    rgregl
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Hi,
    the update will at least change all components to identical version numbers. If this is enough to solve your specific problem, only the reality will show.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:57 PM