view related query RRS feed

• Question

• what is difference between View and filtered view ?
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:58 AM

Answers

• In Dynamics CRM terms, a view is a stored set of rules for displaying a list of records. There are system views which are visible to everyone and set up by default or by an administrator and there are personal views, created by a user by saving an Advanced find.

A filtered view is a SQL view on CRM's database. The filtered view provides a summary of the data relating to an entity. For example, FilteredAccount shows all the Account records and their fields/attributes. Also the filtered view respects user security and automatically adjust dates for the user's timezone.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ 
    or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:24 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:36 AM

All replies

• From the SDK:

Filtered Views

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 includes SQL database filtered views that are used for business data access. Filtered views are fully compliant with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM security model. When you run a report that obtains data from filtered views, the Microsoft Dynamics CRM security role determines what data you can view in the report.

Note   You cannot access filtered views in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online because access to the SQL database is not supported in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online.

Data in filtered views is restricted at three levels: the organization, the business unit, and the owner. Filtered views exist for all Microsoft Dynamics CRM business objects (entities).

Your reports should not read data directly from the Microsoft Dynamics CRM database tables. Instead, use the filtered views. The following sample SQL code returns all columns from the filtered view for an Account entity:

SELECT * FROM dbo.FilteredAccount

The filtered views give you an ability to easily pull Microsoft Dynamics CRM report data into Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and Access.

If you have an on-premise installation, you can use the Metadata Browser to determine the name of the filtered view for each entity. The column titled Report View Name is the view name that you can use in your SQL statements. For more information, see Using the Metadata Browser

A complete listing of all the standard filtered views organized by product area is available in the Programming Reference section..

Custom and Customized Entities

When you create a new custom entity in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM database, a new filtered view for that entity is created. If you add or change an attribute in a custom entity or customizable system entity, the change is automatically included in the associated filtered view.

-------------------------------

Cheers, Edwin
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Filtered view : In ms crm every entity has it's corresponding filtered view,this view joins all the informaiton related to this entity, and also provides security features, you can only view such data which you have access.

on the otherhand simple view does not provides this facility

Mahain : http://mahenderpal.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by HIMBAPModerator Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:18 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:11 AM
  • ok, thank u and please reply me as is exactly consider the relationships  between View and filtered view in CRM terminolgy,  If is there in difference please some points on that....
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:17 AM
  • There is no relationships as such, a VIEW is simply a database view which are used in any database applications

Filtered Views are special SQL views created for CRM, so that each entity(i.e) database tables has its corresponding Filtered View - this is just a friendly view which keeps in considerations the Security aspects

Cheers, Edwin
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:27 AM
  • In Dynamics CRM terms, a view is a stored set of rules for displaying a list of records. There are system views which are visible to everyone and set up by default or by an administrator and there are personal views, created by a user by saving an Advanced find.

A filtered view is a SQL view on CRM's database. The filtered view provides a summary of the data relating to an entity. For example, FilteredAccount shows all the Account records and their fields/attributes. Also the filtered view respects user security and automatically adjust dates for the user's timezone.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ 
    or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:24 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:36 AM