solved: SyncToy v2.1 freezing and slower than v2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Today I install v2.1 and all previus settings from v2.0 was imported fine.

I have a desktop PC ( with XP SP3 ) with a shared folder, and a notebook ( XP SP3 too ) with a mapped drive from the desktop. All the folders pairs are in Sync mode and both computers are over a very simple wired LAN in a workgroup. Both computer have NTFS 64K cluster on all partitions.

So, when I tried to run SyncToy v2.1 into the notebook to Sync with the desktop, I see problems with v2.1 that I never see with v2.0 or even v1.x :

- it's much more slow than v2.0 when is doing a remote scanning of my mapped drive.
    - in some folder pair ( allway the same ones ), its freeze or stuck by a very long time at the same remote folders into the mapped drive, horewer I can cancel the operation with normally.
    - Other folders pairs can complete the sync operation without freezing, but still taking much more time to complete.

I wonder if exist a way to fix this without delete and rebuild all my folders pairs ( I have many of them ).

Thanks in advance.

Bedfford.

UPDATE: after some attempts and waiting to finish, now I see SyncToy v2.1 runs with normally. Just I needed some patiente...

• Edited by Bedfford Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:15 PM solved
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi, I'm also experiencing this exact same behavior (Vista x86). Remote folder is residing on a NAS. When SyncToy 2.1 is "looking for changes" on the remote folder for the first time, it's real slow. The second time it's pretty quick. I can't remember experiencing such a behavior with 2.0. Is SyncToy building an index or something the first time and later just check against index (hash or something)?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi, I'm also experiencing this exact same behavior (Vista x86). Remote folder is residing on a NAS. When SyncToy 2.1 is "looking for changes" on the remote folder for the first time, it's real slow. The second time it's pretty quick. I can't remember experiencing such a behavior with 2.0. Is SyncToy building an index or something the first time and later just check against index (hash or something)?

You should check the announcements stickies at the top of the forum (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/threads?page=1) regarding using SyncToy with a NAS - apparently there is a data corruption problem with all known NAS configurations and SyncToy...
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:50 PM
  • The data corruption issue is supposed to have been fixed in SyncToy 2.1. The slowness issue is related to SyncToy 2.1. SyncToy 2.0 was behaving correctly from a speed perspective.

Monday, November 16, 2009 7:39 PM