Adding drives to WHS and Shared folder migration RRS feed

• Question

• I did check to see if the question was asked before and I did not come across anything similar. I apologize if I missed it...here is my question

I installed WHS on a 80GB box a few weeks ago to test its functionality and am really loving it. I have decided to add two 1 TB SATA drives and was wondering if there is any way I can migrate the shared folders from the original 80 GB (which also has the system partition) to one of the 1 TB drives and then enable folder duplication to the other 1 TB drive. Folder duplication is not enabled currently.

I read the white paper on Drive Extender and it says that the Migrator service will move the shared folders to the new drive at some point when it recognizes that it has a large drive avaialble....am I right in my understanding or is there another way to migrate the folders to the 1 TB drive.

Thanks in adavnce
    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:35 PM

Answers

• Venky S said:

I did check to see if the question was asked before and I did not come across anything similar. I apologize if I missed it...here is my question

I installed WHS on a 80GB box a few weeks ago to test its functionality and am really loving it. I have decided to add two 1 TB SATA drives and was wondering if there is any way I can migrate the shared folders from the original 80 GB (which also has the system partition) to one of the 1 TB drives and then enable folder duplication to the other 1 TB drive. Folder duplication is not enabled currently.

No.  However, it's not necessary.  WHS will still duplicate your data no matter which drive has the data (room permitting, of course).

Venky S said:

I read the white paper on Drive Extender and it says that the Migrator service will move the shared folders to the new drive at some point when it recognizes that it has a large drive avaialble....am I right in my understanding or is there another way to migrate the folders to the 1 TB drive.

Thanks in adavnce

No, that is incorrect.  Where did you see that document?  (It used to do that before PP1, but that is almost 8 months ago now.)
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Venky S said:

When you say it is not necessary are you saying that I should not worry about it and simply duplicate the folder and WHS will ensure that my files will be OK no matter which drive fails in the future.....?.

That's correct. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:42 PM

All replies

• Venky S said:

I did check to see if the question was asked before and I did not come across anything similar. I apologize if I missed it...here is my question

No.  However, it's not necessary.  WHS will still duplicate your data no matter which drive has the data (room permitting, of course).

Venky S said:

Thanks in adavnce

No, that is incorrect.  Where did you see that document?  (It used to do that before PP1, but that is almost 8 months ago now.)
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Here is the link to the article....

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:NpqKlF1GLMAJ:download.microsoft.com/download/2/f/c/2fc09c20-587f-4f16-aa33-c6c4c75fb3dd/Windows%2520Home%2520Server%2520Technical%2520Brief%2520-%2520Drive%2520Extender.docx+home+server+drive+extender+migrate&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca

When you say it is not necessary are you saying that I should not worry about it and simply duplicate the folder and WHS will ensure that my files will be OK no matter which drive fails in the future.....?.

Thanks
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Venky S said:

That's correct. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:42 PM
  • that's fantastic....thanks for your help and advise.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:12 PM