• Question

• i have a big problem with onecare
    it doesn't let me download one mail, because of virus,
    i think i should only warn, not block
    any way, is there a way to avoid this,
    because this mail is very very important to me, and the only one left
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:03 PM

Answers

• OneCare should not be blocking the download of the message if you are using an email program. If you are trying to open the message, and it is infected, yes, it will block the opening and you should *not* open that message.
    If you believe that this is a false positive:

Follow the instructions in this post, http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/6a1361cb-ae28-4d0b-94df-ae2ae890de29 , to report a virus that is not detected by OneCare and to get help in removal or to report a suspected false positive - a threat detected by OneCare in error.

If you wish to throw caution to the wind and open the message, risking infection, open OneCare, click change settings, and on the Virus and Spyware tab, you will see the option to disable the protection. Click OK and your status will turn to red and protection will be off. I recommend that you turn it right back on (well, I recommend *not* turning it off to begin with) after opening the message and then do a full scan for viruses.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:39 PM
  • It appears that you are not having a OneCare issue, but with Windows Live Hotmail. Windows Live Hotmail via the web browser will block certain attachments from being displayed. The only way around this is to do what you have done - that is to retrieve the message via an email client. You could have downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail - http://download.live.com

OneCare is an installed Security program - http://onecare.live.com - that you pay for a subscription to use. I suspect that you are not using OneCare.

-steve
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:51 PM

All replies

• OneCare should not be blocking the download of the message if you are using an email program. If you are trying to open the message, and it is infected, yes, it will block the opening and you should *not* open that message.
    If you believe that this is a false positive:

Follow the instructions in this post, http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/6a1361cb-ae28-4d0b-94df-ae2ae890de29 , to report a virus that is not detected by OneCare and to get help in removal or to report a suspected false positive - a threat detected by OneCare in error.

If you wish to throw caution to the wind and open the message, risking infection, open OneCare, click change settings, and on the Virus and Spyware tab, you will see the option to disable the protection. Click OK and your status will turn to red and protection will be off. I recommend that you turn it right back on (well, I recommend *not* turning it off to begin with) after opening the message and then do a full scan for viruses.

-steve

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:39 PM
  • thank you very much for answering.
    yes i want to disable the protection, but i use the internet explorer to get into my mail box,
    (because i don't know how to do that with outlook),
    and i didn't see a way to change the onecare setting,
    it doesn't appear in my add\remove programs.
    so can you tell me how to change setting in the Iexplorer ?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:30 AM
  • or, (if there is no way to change setting if you get to the mail through the web page)
    i've installed a mail program - mozilla Thunderbird
    i need to set the in/out servers
    i wrote pop3.live.com/smtp.live.com
    but it can't connect to the mail. it says time out.
    so please give me the write adress of the servers.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:37 AM
  • ok. at the end (after monthes), i've successed to download my mail through mail program (thunderbird) as you sayed.

but one question still left (just for curiosity),
    is there a way to open onecare setting, when i get into my mail through the web site.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:04 AM
  • It appears that you are not having a OneCare issue, but with Windows Live Hotmail. Windows Live Hotmail via the web browser will block certain attachments from being displayed. The only way around this is to do what you have done - that is to retrieve the message via an email client. You could have downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail - http://download.live.com

OneCare is an installed Security program - http://onecare.live.com - that you pay for a subscription to use. I suspect that you are not using OneCare.

-steve
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:51 PM
  • I suspect that you are not using OneCare.
    i thought you knew that allready because i explained that i enter my mail through the site
    and onecare is part of the site.

any way, i saw in one forum someone has the same problem,
    it seems that the problem is that onecare doesn't have an option to "only warn, but let the user decide"
    and in the web page there is no access to onecare settings,
    so many people can have this problem,
    that when there is a virus in a mail,
    that infected mail, can't be downloaded through the web page.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:26 PM
  • No, as I said, OneCare is *not* involved in your problem. It is a Hotmail issue and there is no way to overide the attachment blocking. It isn't that the message is infected - it is that the attachment is blocked.

You should visit this site for Hotmail help and discussion:
    http://windowslivehelp.com/Default.aspx

This is from the Windows Live Hotmail Help topic for this issue:

Can't download or send attachments

Windows Live Hotmail doesn't support all file types. If you send an attachment that Windows Live Hotmail doesn't support, the e-mail recipient won't be able to download or open the attachment. You can't unblock a blocked attachment after it's been sent. However, to send or receive an unsupported file type as an attachment, use one of the following methods, or ask the person sending you the attachment to do so:

• Compress the file.

Use a zipped folder or a third-party compression program to compress the file, and then attach it to your e-mail message as a .zip file. See your software documentation for information about how to compress a file.

• Change the file name extension to .txt.

1. Locate the file that you want to attach, right-click the file, and then click Rename.
      2. Type txt in place of the original file name extension, and then press ENTER.
      3. Attach the renamed file to your e-mail message. Remember to tell the recipient how to change the file name extension back after they download the attachment to their computer.

• Upload the file to Windows Live SkyDrive.

SkyDrive is a free service that you can use to store and share your files online with friends or with anyone in the world. Use any computer connected to the Internet to access your files, and share your public files or folders with anyone by e-mailing them a link to the file or folder. You can upload files up to 50 MB in size, and you receive a total of 5 gigabytes (GB) of online storage space.

To get started with SkyDrive, go to the Windows Live SkyDrive website.

Notes
    • Some e-mail programs, such as Microsoft Outlook, block certain types of attached files to help protect against viruses. You'll be notified if you attach a file that others may not be able to open.
    • For a free Windows Live Hotmail account, the maximum size for an attachment is 10 MB. For a paid Windows Live Hotmail account, the maximum size for an attachment is 20 MB. The size limit includes the message, encoding, and the attachment, if you added one.
    • The maximum number of attachments for each e-mail message is 50.
    • Windows Live Hotmail doesn't support the following file types. Your operating system, firewall, or other software may also cause additional file types to be blocked.

.ade .adp .app .asp .bas
      .bat .cer .chm .cmd .com
      .cpl .crt .csh .exe .fxp
      .hlp .hta .inf .ins .isp
      .its .js .jse .ksh .lnk
      .mad .maf .mag .mam .maq
      .mar .mas .mat .mau .mav
      .maw .mda .mdb .mde .mdt
      .mdw .mdz .msc .msi .msp
      .mst .ops .pcd .pif .prf
      .prg .pst .reg .scf .scr
      .sct .shb .shs .tmp .url
      .vb .vbe .vbs .vsmacros .vss
      .vst .vsw .ws .wsc .wsf
      .wsh

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:51 PM
  • i'm sorry that i didn't explained my self so good.
    the message was not blocked it was infected, and there for, blocked by onecare.
    this message is a zip file that i packed and send it to my mail, it has in there a known as virus program.
    if i had packed it in rar format, there was no problem, because onecare don't scan that format.
    any way, thank you for explaining all that, it always good to know new things.

Friday, May 8, 2009 3:57 AM
  • You're welcome. I will, however, repeat myself now. OneCare does *not* scan email nor will it prevent the download or upload of an email, infected or not, when OneCare is installed on the computer. OneCare *will* block the opening of an infected attachment. The infected file is there in the email and you try to save it to your hard drive or open it and OneCare will scan it. It will block it if an infection is detected.
    -steve
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:17 PM