Site multiple downloads windows xp home sp3 no sticker have key someone else same key RRS feed

• Question

• My instructions were to write my key info down did not have a sticker with xp home copy downloaded

found out some else has the same key want to know if I should throw it out.

Don't want to get in trouble with a multiple windows copy.

Im the person texted that mine was downloaded from Canada dealer,software-dicounter.org.

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:58 PM

Answers

• Hello gdbdbdn,

If I understand your situation, you downloaded a copy of Windows XP Home Edition.  The product key for this download was shown to you and you were supposed to write it down.

Then you found out someone else has the same key and you want to know what to do.

First you have to know that the only place for an average consumer to legitimately buy electronically delivered Microsoft software and product keys is from Microsoft itself thru its digital distribution partner Digital River.  ANY OTHER source for buying downloaded or emailed Microsoft software and/or product keys is a nongenuine source.

Next, please visit www.microsoft.com/piracy and submit a piracy report.

Next, do not use the copy of XP Home you downloaded.  The downloaded file may have malware embedded and is certainly some sort of pirated copy.

Finally, your options regarding purchasing a legal copy of XP Home are becoming severely limited because Microsoft stopped manufacturing retail packages of XP Home over a year ago.  Occasionally some trusted internet retailers have stock of XP Home OEM licenses---here's an example:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116583&cm_re=xp_home_edition-_-32-116-583-_-Product

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:15 PM

All replies

• tried to use tool and only checked out windows on computer that I was running- not the downloaded windows xp.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Hello gdbdbdn,

If I understand your situation, you downloaded a copy of Windows XP Home Edition.  The product key for this download was shown to you and you were supposed to write it down.

Then you found out someone else has the same key and you want to know what to do.

First you have to know that the only place for an average consumer to legitimately buy electronically delivered Microsoft software and product keys is from Microsoft itself thru its digital distribution partner Digital River.  ANY OTHER source for buying downloaded or emailed Microsoft software and/or product keys is a nongenuine source.

Next, please visit www.microsoft.com/piracy and submit a piracy report.

Next, do not use the copy of XP Home you downloaded.  The downloaded file may have malware embedded and is certainly some sort of pirated copy.

Finally, your options regarding purchasing a legal copy of XP Home are becoming severely limited because Microsoft stopped manufacturing retail packages of XP Home over a year ago.  Occasionally some trusted internet retailers have stock of XP Home OEM licenses---here's an example:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116583&cm_re=xp_home_edition-_-32-116-583-_-Product

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:15 PM
  • The dealer told me that would investigate. I am thinking some con made another copy of same windows xp system who ever it was gave them and not knowing details could sold it.   

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:34 PM
  • "gdbdbdn" wrote in message news:6019a782-61a8-494f-88b5-1029166693db...

The dealer told me that would investigate. I am thinking some con made another copy of same windows xp system who ever it was gave them and not knowing details could sold it.   

No - it's almost certainly the dealer's problem, in that they have been selling multiple copies of the same software, and charging full price for it.
    Demand a refund, and with the money recovered, buy a legal copy of Windows from a reputable source.
    If you don't get a refund (or even if you do) report the problem to piracy@microsoft.com with full details.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 30, 2010 8:15 PM