Roadmap for VS2008 support? RRS feed

• Question

• One of the frustrating things about MSS2004, is during the "Speech Server Days" participants would ask, "can I install this on VS2005?" and I'd have to provide the canned answer, "No, sorry.  Use VS2003"

Now that OCS2007 Speech server is finally released, we can finally use VS2005.  Yay! 

But now VS2008 is released and the forum posts echo with the the "use the old VS version" mantra.    OK, that's a little dramatic...

Is there a roadmap to release a setup for development on VS2008?  I volunteer for the alpha build, even!

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi there, I have the same prob, I was in touch with Somasegar and im waiting for an answer from him, will update you when i get it, He was quick to act on it but some more infromation is needed, in the meantime i guess you know that you can Install VS 2008 and also use VS 2005 for speech development and stuff. 

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:13 AM
  • I thought I would let you know, that if you are using Vista you will likely run into problems installing Visual Studio 2008 side-by-side with Visual Studio 2005 and then try to do speech development.  I personally have installed Visual Studio 2008 on the same XP Pro box and have been able to do speech development, but a coleage of mine had Vista and ran into problems. When he installed Visual Studio 2008 with Visual Studio 2005, he could not run a speech app in the Visual Studio debug environment.  There is also a report from someone on GotSpeech with the same problem.

kstep

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Hi everyone, I was in contact with the speech server team and there working on their plans for VS tools in relationship to their existing and upcoming product. Thanks.

-Gehan-

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:39 AM
  • Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007, Speech Server developer tools were designed for VS 2005. We are committed to making sure it runs successfully even if VS 2008 is installed side by side with VS 2005. We will provide an update as soon as one is available.

Thanks!

Vishwa [MS]

Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:16 AM
  •  Vishwa Ranjan [MS] wrote:

Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007, Speech Server developer tools were designed for VS 2005. We are committed to making sure it runs successfully even if VS 2008 is installed side by side with VS 2005. We will provide an update as soon as one is available.

Thanks!

Vishwa [MS]

What is needed is support for VS 2008. The fact that this isn't a top priority for the OCS team is a real problem.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:03 PM
  • I think we are the first to admit that not supporting Speech Server (2007) development in Visual Studio 2008 is not ideal. After all the Microsoft message is that we want all developers to move to Visual Studio 2008.

It however indeed is related to prioritization.

We prioritized working on the next version over porting the Speech Server (2007) SDK to Visual Studio 2008 - even a large company like Microsoft has a limited amount of resources.

Given that VS2008 supports development in VS2005 side by side, we chose that 'cheaper' solution, for it still enables developer to build speech applications using tools that I think are fantastic...

As said - less than ideal. But a choice that allows the Microsoft development team to work on an even more compelling version.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:24 AM
  • While I understand that this is Microsoft’s official position, I still feel it is very wrongheaded.

If Microsoft wants to lead the speech platform market they are going to have to commit to keeping their offer up-to-date. Why would someone take on the task of migrating from Nuance’s NVP to Speech Server without knowing that Microsoft is 100% committed to the product?

The lack of VS2008 support signals to the market that the “Managed Speech Application” model is risky. What I, and most established speech developers, want to know is that MSA isn’t going to go the same way as SALT.

I’m a big fan of Microsoft Speech Server but I still maintain most of my application development in VoiceXML. This isn’t because I prefer this model; it is because I need to protect myself from Microsoft shifting direction yet again.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Are there any plans to support Windows Server 2008?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:37 PM