Intel DG965WH motherboard - drivers? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm about to set up WHS on a DG965WH board I'm stealing from one of my machines.

Sorry if I've missed something, but I've seen a lot of posts around the place (mostly from last year) talking about WHS not providing drivers for Intel desktop boards like the DG965WH, but I've also seen quite a few people saying they run WHS on the DG965WH.  Does that mean WHS OEM is now shipping with drivers for the DG965WH, or has everyone found alternative drivers?

If they don't install with WHS OEM, can anyone point me to drivers I should use please?  I've seen reference to XP drivers working.  Is that what I should use?  And to show how ignorant I am, which drivers are we talking about?  Is it graphics drivers only?  Any others?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you need drivers that don't come with Windows Home Server, and the MB manufacturer doesn't supply Windows Server 2003 drivers, you can usually use Windows XP drivers. For the most part, the XP and WS2K3 driver architecture is the same.

As for which drivers you need, I would say storage (even if your MB works with the generic IDE driver, it's the lowest common denominator, and I've seen odd performance issues turn out to be caused by that driver), and network. You don't need a video driver; I haven't seen a video adapter (onboard or separate) that didn't work with the standard VGA driver in a long time. A chipset driver is good if you can find one; it will often activate more advanced features of some chipsets, like CPU throttling at idle. Beyond that, scan Device Manager for unrecognized devices.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Intel desktop boards do not come with 2003 drivers, but there are 2003 drivers for the G965 chipset at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-022768.htm Graphics, Chipset

and for the Network adapter 82566DC

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=4275

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Thanks to all.  Those drivers look like just what I need Risky.  Have you (or anyone else) set up WHS with them successfully on an Intel G965 board?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:02 PM
  • I have WHS running on a DG965WH fine, although not with the drivers (AFAIK) linked above. I originally tried to install the drivers from the CD that the came with the board. However, the quick install app that's meant to work out what you need and install it for you refused to install the chipset and network drivers (the sound ones installed fine), stating that they required Windows XP. Tried finding Windows 2003 drivers on the internet but just found notices from Intel that as a desktop product, there were no server drivers available. Instead I went back to the driver CD and navigated directly to individual driver setup.exe files and ran them. I can't remember if I had to run them in compatibility mode or not, but they worked just fine so I think the Desktop/Server limitation was caused by the quick install scanning my system rather than the actual drivers.

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I use them for a Q965 board - DQ965GF

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Should I try to install the management engine interface driver (thermal management) from the standard DG965WH (Vista 32) options - HECI****.exe?  That looks like the only useful driver I wouldn't otherwise get.  How important is that driver?

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:33 PM
  • I installed the chipset and network drivers located by Risky and all is up and running perfectly. 

I'll try installing the management engine interface driver (XP version) when I'm feeling brave.

Thanks to everyone.

Monday, February 25, 2008 12:37 PM
  • Should I try to install the management engine interface driver (thermal management) from the standard DG965WH (Vista 32) options - HECI****.exe?  That looks like the only useful driver I wouldn't otherwise get.  How important is that driver?

Apologies for digging up a really old thread, but I was cleaning house last evening and decided to fix a couple nagging issues on my WHS box.  For anyone that does have an Intel desktop board that supports XP but claims not to support Server 2003 (see this list for some examples) you can install the drivers with a minimal amount of work.

Most of the components will install simply by setting the installer to run in XP compatibility mode.  This web page explains how to get around the issues with the components that don't install even with that workaround. 

To answer the specific question about the HECI drivers, those drivers are responsible for the Intel Management Engine Interface which will allow you to monitor fan speeds, etc.  Your call on how important that is to you.  I for one just didnt' like seeing the unrecognized PCI Simple Communications Controller.

Hopefully this helps a few people.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:28 PM
  • As far as the management drivers that you want to install all that they are used to do is monitor your sys fans and temps for this you can use speedfan just google it and you should find a download for it as it is a GNU license.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:12 PM