OCS for multiple PBXs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to know if OCS 2007 can integrate with more than one PBX? For example, three offices linked by MPLS, each one using is own PBX, and one OCS server in one of them?
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:35 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is possible; however you probably will need one OCS Mediation Server per PBX and one gateway per PBX. This will give you an opportunity to use least cost routing and route the outgoing call via the lowest cost route. 

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:50 PM

All replies

• Yes, this is possible; however you probably will need one OCS Mediation Server per PBX and one gateway per PBX. This will give you an opportunity to use least cost routing and route the outgoing call via the lowest cost route. 

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Thank you for your quick answer.
    If the 3 PBXs are qualified ( http://www.microsoft.com/uc/ocsinterop.mspx , Vendors), do I really need any Mediation Server?
    And what do you mean by 'one gateway per PBX'?
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:49 PM
  • I haven’t seen exactly how the different vendors do there implementation but I do work with the Nortel CS1000 integration and there you actually need one Mediation Server and one Proxy Server to get this working. Would be surprised if all the vendors doing implementation in the same way, but of course you need to check with each of the vendors how they do the implementation.

Also, we actually plan to have two Mediation Server and two Proxy Servers per PBX as we need to have this in a High Availability setup.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  Xander BST wrote:
    Thank you for your quick answer.
    If the 3 PBXs are qualified ( http://www.microsoft.com/uc/ocsinterop.mspx , Vendors), do I really need any Mediation Server?
    And what do you mean by 'one gateway per PBX'?

Yes you'll require Mediation Servers, as the qualified PBX still speaks SIP over TCP and one of the OCS Mediation Server's purposes is to translate that SIP over TCP into an MTLS conversation that the Front-End (or Director) understands.  And if you plan to connect to three different PBX systems with three unique Gateway devices then you'll need to deploy three Mediation servers.

Only an "advanced media gateway" would not require a mediation server as that gateway can talk directly to a Front-End or Director server.

Take a look through the OCS 2007 VoIP Deployment Guide for some more details on the requirements.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:40 PM
  • So what is the point of the qualification of PBXs, if the mediation server is compulsory!
    Take a look at the picture here: http://www.microsoft.com/uc/ocsinterop.mspx in the Deployment section.
    In 3 of 4 cases, the gateway isn't used, and no mediation server is involved, just by using standard protocols... And I found the same information in the "Integrating Telephony with Office Communications Server 2007"
    guide.
    I would just like to understand.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:55 AM
  • A definitely do not have full knowledge off all the vendors but most still used a Mediation Server to connect with there gateways. Some of them have hybrids-gateway but in those cases there is a Mediation Server in the gateway.

We were actually surprised when we started with the Nortel integration and found out that we needed one additional OCS Proxy Gateway to get this working.

As you have three different PBX'es to integrate with, check with all these vendors and see how the have done there implementations. The plan is to have vendors integrating tight with OCS and without Mediations Server, but I haven't seen that yet.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:08 AM
  • The link I posted before dealt with the revisions of the main PBX. I spoke with an Alcatel salesman yesterday, but he wasn't aware of the improvments of the R9.
    I think I'll keep asking vendors about the integration.
    Thanks for your help. Smile
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:30 AM
  •  Xander BST wrote:
    So what is the point of the qualification of PBXs, if the mediation server is compulsory!
    Take a look at the picture here: http://www.microsoft.com/uc/ocsinterop.mspx in the Deployment section.
    In 3 of 4 cases, the gateway isn't used, and no mediation server is involved, just by using standard protocols... And I found the same information in the "Integrating Telephony with Office Communications Server 2007"
    guide.
    I would just like to understand.

Qualification simply means that the vendor's PBX system is tested and supported with OCS 2007, but you still need to install the actual components required to 'make things work'.  A standard good 'ol fashioned PBX can't speak directly to a computer, a gateway is the required  hardware component to bridge the gap between POTS and Ethernet, and the OCS Mediation Server is the software component to translate the data streams between the two devices. Just like a gateway is used in your home to connect a cable-based Internet service to an Ethernet based personnel computer.

The "Advanced Media Gateway" would handle both the hardware and software bridging and not require the need for a Mediation Server to be deployed.  Now all that applies to standard PBX systems.  If we are talking about a native IP-based phone system, then the gateway component may no longer be needed, but unless that IP-PBX speaks the same language as OCS natively, a Mediation Server component would still be required to handle the SIP-to-MTLS conversion.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:33 PM
  • It's now pretty clear actually, and it's the way I understood how things work by reading MS's documents.
    I forgot to mention that I was dealing with 'hypothetical' IP-PBXs. Sorry for the misunderstanding between PBX and IP-PBX, and thanks a lot for your explanation.
    The manufacturers I'm interested in work on Dual Forking and RCC, which seems to imply they speak OCS native language.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Well you actually dont really need a mediation server for every ip-pbx.....take a look at

http://www.quintum.com/microsoft/ms_ucproxy.html

Valerio Capodacqua |  www.idc.it

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:55 PM