Unable to find server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just started the propcess with the connector disk - can't find my server. I've read a post here about Firewall settings, but my Firewall is different (I'm on Vista) so I'm rel;uctant to change without the right info.

I did use a different server name. Shoul I re-install the server with the standard "Server" name?

Colin

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:08 PM

Answers

• No you don't need to reinstall, when the connector setup fails, it will give you the option to type the server name or IP Address in. Type the new server name in and you should be good to go.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:37 PM
  • If you continue to have the problem, check the server itself and make sure the drivers are installed for the NIC.  If you just installed WHS, it may be that all your devices are not yet available and need drivers.  I then suggest visiting Windows Update to make sure you have all the updates installed.  After the server has been verified and is ready to go, try connecting again.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:29 PM

All replies

• No you don't need to reinstall, when the connector setup fails, it will give you the option to type the server name or IP Address in. Type the new server name in and you should be good to go.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Good reply. I have one computer that consistantly fails to find the server.

Rufus Roper

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:21 PM
  • If you continue to have the problem, check the server itself and make sure the drivers are installed for the NIC.  If you just installed WHS, it may be that all your devices are not yet available and need drivers.  I then suggest visiting Windows Update to make sure you have all the updates installed.  After the server has been verified and is ready to go, try connecting again.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Apologies I did not make it clear, but I had tried entering the code manually, and I have also tried a number of un-used IP addresses but without success. Every time I get a "Network error" message

I haven't yet had a look on the server to see if the NIC has installed OK, I'll do that later tonite. Initially, I have only installed 1 HDD on the server with two partitions, and they were discovered fine, but as I say I haven't yet tried the NIC to see if it has installed. It is on-board on an ASUS mobo, so it should be a bog standard driver.

I'll also have a look at Updates I'm assuming you mean on the Server. I've just downlaoded the Sever install disk, so it should be pretty up to date. Will the Server see the Router to connect for updates?

There is one question I have that puzzles me. I followed the intructions to a tee, I checked files with a CRC checker. I actually read rhe three downloaded PDF files. I've never done that before ever!!!!.

When I completed the server install, the instructions say:-

• Log Off
    • Shut down
    • Disconnect mouse etc
    • restart
    • proceed to install connector software.

This I did, but I was puzzled about the server, so I re-connected the screen to have a look at what state it was in. All that had happened was that I was getting a dialog box telling me to press CTRL ALT DEL then log on. I didn't do this, as there was no instruction to do so. So I powered off and disconnected again then re-booted.

Is this correct? I presume that the HS Console may manage this, but if the Server is not fulling running, will it be visible on the network?

Colin

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:56 PM
  • This problem occurred with Beta 2, where a successful resolution was to add the WHS's details to the "hosts" file of the computer having the problem. This file is found in \windows\system32\drivers\etc folder and add a line like this:

192.168.0.10       Server       # Windows Home Server

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:06 PM
  • The "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to login message is normal. It means the server is up and running, and safely locked away.

You don't need to access this, which is why the instructions say to disconnect everything (this is what they mean by "headless"). When you use the Home Server console, that will connect to the server and provide all the functionality you need - you don't need to login to the machine locally (ie with attached bits).

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Tried the Hosts file, but no joy.

However, when I checked the server, I found the NIC hadn't installed.

So a job for me tomorrow.

Ta so far

Colin

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Installed the NIC from the original disks, and the Console worked fine. Now added my laptop and it works fine. One to go. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input

Colin

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:01 AM