System shutdown after HDD install RRS feed

• Question

• I installed an additional HDD last night and I have to say that it was the easiest hardware install I have had on any platform but after the install as load was being balanced between the drives, my system shut down...and would not power back on.  I left it for the night and this morning it powered up without a hitch. 

I know it is probably hardware related (though it has not happened before) but I am curious if anyone else has had similar issues.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:28 PM

All replies

• humor on:

did you notice if the lights were on as well.  (I jest, because we had some power flickers last night, and my first thought was, oh GREAT! there goes my WHS... Wink )

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Bad/under powered power supply.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Note that, if Joel is right, your entire WHS system is very definitely at risk. A slightly overloaded power supply will start to overheat, which is bad. It will also start to put out dirty power, which is worse. Dirty power can damage components on your MB, damage drives, or damage add-in cards. If your power supply is marginal, you should really shut WHS down until you can get one that's adequate for the job.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:19 PM