none
Meaning of some functions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!! I try to modify SORA code in 802.11a. When I see SORA code, I don't understand some function.

1) CopyGI(info->cSymbol, info->cSymbol + 128) in Ofdmsymbol.h

- When I compare with NSDI09 paper (Sora: High Performance Software Radio Using General Purpose Multi-core Processors), this is equivalent to GI addition. However, I don't understand how this function works as GI addition.  Moreover, what is value of sizeof(vcs)?

2) Window(Info->cSymbol, pcLast) in Ofdmsymbol.h

- I have no idea on the meaning of this function

3) UpsampleAndCopyNT(info, pcOutput, info->cSymbol, COMPLEX_PER_OFDM_SYMBOL) in Ofdmsymbol.h

- I have no idea on the meaning of this function.

4) DigitalAGC<128 / vcs::size>(__pcTemp, pRxContextA->digitalAGC) in Arx_fd.c

5) When I compare receiving part in NSDI09 paper (Figure1), I don't find Decimation function and Remove GI function in SORA code. How these two functions realized in SORA code?

Thanks. 

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:22 PM

Answers

• 1) CopyGI(info->cSymbol, info->cSymbol + 128) in Ofdmsymbol.h

- When I compare with NSDI09 paper (Sora: High Performance Software Radio Using General Purpose Multi-core Processors), this is equivalent to GI addition. However, I don't understand how this function works as GI addition.  Moreover, what is value of sizeof(vcs)?

CopyGI: just copy the last few samples to the front of an OFDM symbol (:) you know why.).

sizeof(vcs) is 128 bytes, and a vcs contains 4 complex16 samples.

windowing (Hamming window, Hanning window, bla bla bla....). Ref the window function in the 802.11a standard.

3) UpsampleAndCopyNT(info, pcOutput, info->cSymbol, COMPLEX_PER_OFDM_SYMBOL) in Ofdmsymbol.h

This is an optional function.

Upsample: If the sampling rate of your SORA is 44MHz, then you should use this function to upsample the baseband samples from 40MHz to 44MHz, so that SORA can communicate to a commercial card. If you are working on SORA to SORA communication, you can omit this function.

CopyNT: convert the raw samples from complex16 to complex8 (8-bit raw IQ samples) and make sure all samples are written to transmission buffer.

Digital AGC: make samples fill the dynamic range of complex16, I think.

5) When I compare receiving part in NSDI09 paper (Figure1), I don't find Decimation function and Remove GI function in SORA code. How these two functions realized in SORA code?

Decimation: you can see this function: FetchDMADataTouchDownSampled. It performs the decimation.

Remove GI: you can find the code like this in arx_fd.c:

// ignore first 8 complexes

// we use no. 8 - 72 to do fft, 

// this has the same alignment for 24 - 84 complex in

// long preamble

__pcTemp += SYM_CP_SKIP; 

Note “__pcTemp += SYM_CP_SKIP; ”  this is equivalent to removing GI.

Hope my answers will help you!

Danial.F
    • Marked as answer by Kun Tan Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• 1) CopyGI(info->cSymbol, info->cSymbol + 128) in Ofdmsymbol.h

CopyGI: just copy the last few samples to the front of an OFDM symbol (:) you know why.).

sizeof(vcs) is 128 bytes, and a vcs contains 4 complex16 samples.

windowing (Hamming window, Hanning window, bla bla bla....). Ref the window function in the 802.11a standard.

This is an optional function.

Upsample: If the sampling rate of your SORA is 44MHz, then you should use this function to upsample the baseband samples from 40MHz to 44MHz, so that SORA can communicate to a commercial card. If you are working on SORA to SORA communication, you can omit this function.

CopyNT: convert the raw samples from complex16 to complex8 (8-bit raw IQ samples) and make sure all samples are written to transmission buffer.

Digital AGC: make samples fill the dynamic range of complex16, I think.

Decimation: you can see this function: FetchDMADataTouchDownSampled. It performs the decimation.

Remove GI: you can find the code like this in arx_fd.c:

// ignore first 8 complexes

// we use no. 8 - 72 to do fft, 

// this has the same alignment for 24 - 84 complex in

// long preamble

__pcTemp += SYM_CP_SKIP; 

Note “__pcTemp += SYM_CP_SKIP; ”  this is equivalent to removing GI.

Hope my answers will help you!

Danial.F
    • Marked as answer by Kun Tan Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi Danial,

Thank you for the answers! That is great!

- Kun

Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:00 AM