none
Help in ms SQL Server 2012 express RRS feed

• Question

• I on 64 bit computer and using vs 2015.

to use vb2015 databases it needs to download sql server.   I don't have pre downloaded ... to download this I went ms official page and selected category. i shows too many download content. . help me.. which content should I download?  url is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

Screen shot

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:54 AM

Answers

• If you want to have the management tools (SQL Server Management Studio), then download sqlexpradv_x64, which is "sql server with advanced services". Besides SSMS, the "advanced services" download includes some other features, such as full-text indexing and Reporting Services.

If you don't want the additional tools, the simplest download is the sqlexpr_x64, which provides the database engine only. You can then manage the database server from within Visual Studio. Or, if you later decide that you want SSMS, then you can download SQLManagementStudio_x64.

Note that you shouldn't need the SqlLocalDB.msi, since LocalDB already comes bundled with Visual Studio. The download is there for people who don't have Visual Studio.

By the way, why are you trying to install version 2012 instead of the newer 2014?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:14 PM

All replies

• If you want to have the management tools (SQL Server Management Studio), then download sqlexpradv_x64, which is "sql server with advanced services". Besides SSMS, the "advanced services" download includes some other features, such as full-text indexing and Reporting Services.

If you don't want the additional tools, the simplest download is the sqlexpr_x64, which provides the database engine only. You can then manage the database server from within Visual Studio. Or, if you later decide that you want SSMS, then you can download SQLManagementStudio_x64.

Note that you shouldn't need the SqlLocalDB.msi, since LocalDB already comes bundled with Visual Studio. The download is there for people who don't have Visual Studio.

By the way, why are you trying to install version 2012 instead of the newer 2014?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Thank you for replying. .I went vbtutor.net for learning all most I have learned. . The last section is databases creation. .. in that they were mantioned SQL Server 2012  . I am using vs2015 for projects but I don't know how to do database. ..
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:59 AM