Display size for avatars in the "My Profile" page RRS feed

• Question

• It would a great addition if you would mention the size of the avatar in the "My Profile" page. Right now all we know is that is should be less than 1MB.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him a lifetime
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:07 PM

Answers

• Arnie Rowland said:

Both for practically, and for download times, it really seems like 20K would be a max size.

Does anyone use an Avatar or teeny-tiny photo that is more than a few hundred bytes?

I don't want download speeds negatively affected by 1 MB Avatar files on every reply.
    (Worst case scenario, 20+ distinct posters on a thread, each with 1 MB Avatar files.) Yuck!

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

We like to keep it large so that you can upload larger files if you want but we do resize it before we save it into 44x44 as a user of other systems I like that I don't have to preshrink it to upload it.
    STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

• Both for practically, and for download times, it really seems like 20K would be a max size.

Does anyone use an Avatar or teeny-tiny photo that is more than a few hundred bytes?

I don't want download speeds negatively affected by 1 MB Avatar files on every reply.
    (Worst case scenario, 20+ distinct posters on a thread, each with 1 MB Avatar files.) Yuck!
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I actually meant the image resolution like 50x50, 80x50 ...
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him a lifetime
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Arnie Rowland said:

Both for practically, and for download times, it really seems like 20K would be a max size.

We like to keep it large so that you can upload larger files if you want but we do resize it before we save it into 44x44 as a user of other systems I like that I don't have to preshrink it to upload it.
    STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:35 PM