WHS Retail version and Vail on same client? RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to install the beta version of Vail on a separate computer for testing.  Can I run both the retail version of WHS (connect program) and the "connect" program for Vail on the same client computer(s)?  The first question should have been is Version 2 of the Vail beta ready for a long time WHS user but not a WHS expert.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:57 AM technical question
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:37 PM

All replies

• The answer to what you say should have been your first question is that you'll have to make a final determination yourself, but Vail is a beta product at this time, with known issues that include the possibility of data loss. It's not supported for use in a production environment, so you should assume that any computer you connect to Vail is unprotected by Vail, and that any data you place on your Vail server will vanish overnight some night.

For the first question: No, you can't have both versions of the connector installed. The Vail connector will refuse to install if the V1 connector is in place, and while the V1 connector will install with the Vail connector already installed, Microsoft has warned that doing so will leave the client computer in an unknown state, in which it may fail to back up to either server, and it may be impossible to remove either connector without flattening the client. Having both connectors installed is not, per Microsoft, going to be a supported scenario.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I'll make sure I only "play" with Vail on a test system.  I was surprised as a forum member and a longtime WHS user that I had to Google WHS to find out that a new version was in beta testing.  I'll have to check into the forum more often to stay informed?! 
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Or watch the team blog, or it's been in the press for months...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:36 PM