Cannot install Speech Server RTM on Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I am not able to install the Speech Server RTM on a new dev server we're trying to set up. 

I keep getting the following error:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

We did a clean install of Server 2003 then installed all Windows updates and prerequisites for Speech Server.

This is the RTM from the Connect site and I've installed from this exact download two other times (on Vista), so I'm pretty sure the download did not somehow get corrupted. 

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:35 PM

All replies

• I found this error in the Application Log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Perf Counter Install Utility
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date:  10/11/2007
    Time:  8:16:48 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: *****
    Description:
    An error occurred creating performance counters: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
       at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
       at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
       at System.Int32.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CategoryExists(String machine, String category)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists(String categoryName, String machineName)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists(String categoryName)
       at Microsoft.SpeechServer.PerfCounterInstaller.Main(String[] args)
    Prior events wereBig Smileestroying any previous performance Counters

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:27 PM
  • I just redownloaded everything from the Connect site just to rule out the download being corrupted. 

I ran the installer and got the same error.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:56 PM
  • You are getting a format exception on a string -> int conversion.  One cause of this would be a mismatch between the culture of the input string and the expected culture for the conversion.  What language OS are you using?  What are your Regional Settings set to for the system & current user?  If any of these are not US English, try switching to US English prior to running the installer. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:14 AM
  • I think we may actually be dealing with a corrupt 2k3 install.  We had some other things, like RDP, that weren't working as well.  A repair of 2k3 got us a little further but we were still having issues, so I'm starting from scratch with the machine.  I'll post back if we continue to have problems.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:04 PM
  •  

I have installed Speech Server quite a few times and I did have a problem just like this. I used a different Windows 2003 CD and it solved my problem.

Try this and post back your results. I never took the time to find the cause becasue I had already wasted a lot of time.

I think the CD causing problems was one from my MSDN mailer.

Keith Kabza

keith@visualgov.com

http://www.ocsmvp.com

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:22 PM