MSF With Different Devices RRS feed

• Question

• There are different devices within the company that need to support the smart client application. The different devices that are currently used in the company are:

1. Desktops
    2. Laptops
    3. Blackjack
    4. Blackberry

Now the application we wanted to develop a smart client application which will be hosted on a windows platform which would work for desktops and laptops. But for the PDA’s (Blackjack and Blackberry) we were thinking about building another web interface for those devices. Can you think of any other way to develop a system which doesn’t require two different UI’s one for windows and one for web for the different devices.

Thanks,
    Gaurav Bhasin

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 9:07 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Gaurav,

In our current CTP1 launch of the Microsoft Sync Framework, we currently have support for Desktops and Laptops so I think we have those covered well for now.  For #3 (Windows CE) and #4 (BlackBerry) the support is not currently included.  As you can imagine Windows CE is one that is very important to us and although I can not comment on a date for support, I would expect this to be added in a future CTP.  As for BlackBerry, we have chosen to open the licensing specifications and a source code porting kit to developers who want to implement Microsoft Sync Framework solutions on non-Windows platforms (such as the BlackBerry). 

If you have to support BlackBerries, an alternate approach that you might consider for now is the MDS Studio from RIM which supports accessing Web Services in IIS.  Although it does not give you offline data access like the Microsoft Sync Framework, it should allow you to access the data in the web services. 

Liam

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Here is the text of the licensing page:

Microsoft Sync Framework Licensing

The source code porting kit is not available online and if you are interested in more information on it please email iplg@microsoft.com.

Liam

Friday, November 9, 2007 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Gaurav,

In our current CTP1 launch of the Microsoft Sync Framework, we currently have support for Desktops and Laptops so I think we have those covered well for now.  For #3 (Windows CE) and #4 (BlackBerry) the support is not currently included.  As you can imagine Windows CE is one that is very important to us and although I can not comment on a date for support, I would expect this to be added in a future CTP.  As for BlackBerry, we have chosen to open the licensing specifications and a source code porting kit to developers who want to implement Microsoft Sync Framework solutions on non-Windows platforms (such as the BlackBerry). 

If you have to support BlackBerries, an alternate approach that you might consider for now is the MDS Studio from RIM which supports accessing Web Services in IIS.  Although it does not give you offline data access like the Microsoft Sync Framework, it should allow you to access the data in the web services. 

Liam

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Liam,

I treid to follow your link for licensing but it was broken.  Is that source code porting kit currently available for viewing?

Friday, November 9, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Here is the text of the licensing page:

Microsoft Sync Framework Licensing

The source code porting kit is not available online and if you are interested in more information on it please email iplg@microsoft.com.

Liam

Friday, November 9, 2007 4:46 PM