none
Media Smart Server does not support active UPS RRS feed

• Question

• one interesting official comment from HP (see website)

This document applies to HP MediaSmart Server EX470 and EX475.
    The Media Smart Server does not support active Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). Using the USB cable to allow the UPS to communicate with the MediaSmart Server, can cause a wide range of false errors. Using the UPS in a passive mode (USB cable not attached) does npt appear to cause any false error reporting.
    ---
    HP needs to know that using a UPS is a must for the server. at least there must be a fix for that problem or a seriell connector at the version2 of an HP Mediasmart.
    how do you connect the EX470/475 to a UPS? without any interface cable?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:08 PM

All replies

• My WHS was built by me and isn't one of the HP boxes, but I've had to disconnect the USB data cable and run my WHS-dedicated UPS in passive mode too.  So this glitch might not be limited to the HP EX470/475 boxes.

After running for about a day with the data cable connected, the UPS would begin tripping into On Battery / Off-line mode, initially for short sub-second periods, but eventually into longer and longer spells. Yet the mains power was 100% OK and two adjacent PCs running on their own separate UPS (also APC), had no complaints.  These progressively longer 'interruptions' naturally caught the interest of the UPS Service on the server, which then started announcing it was "Running on battery ...".

When this happened the first time, I powered down WHS to disconnect and check the UPS, found nothing wrong, so reconnected and powered everything up again.  It ran OK again for about another day, when the same pattern was repeated ... short apparent 'outages' (which happen once in a while anyway) but which got longer and longer by small degrees, eventually - after an hour or so - the UPS began beeping and behaving as though the mains power had gone completely.

This time I spent over an hour diagnosing and testing the UPS and proved it was still healthy (it had a new APC-brand battery fitted just weeks earlier and had been supporting two PCs happily for years), before deciding to try running it in passive mode ... and it's been happy ever since.  No false "off-line" indications have occurred since then (I work in the same room as the server and could hear the UPS relays clicking, even before those "false" warning beeps had triggered.)

I might be mis-reading something, but it seems that the WHS-extras which run on top of Server 2003 are conflicting with the assumptions made by APC about how Server 2003 should behave. Here's a quote from an APC Application note I read earlier:

APC - "Windows Built-in Serial & USB UPS Support"
    http://www.apc.com/support/index.cfm

(Click on Application Notes, and look for AN -35 V2  (watch the space after the letters AN )

[APC says]

This application note covers three APC/Microsoft integrations regarding graceful shutdown support

• Built-in Serial UPS Support for Windows 2003/XP/2000
    • Built-in USB UPS Support for Windows 2003/XP/2000
    • Windows Server 2003 Certification of APC InfraStruXure™

"APC and Microsoft have collaborated to include built-in support of Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) in the Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 operating systems"

[end of APC quote]

Also, I see that Windows Home Server is not mentioned at all in the "products that this article applies to" section of this recently reviewed Microsoft KB Article:

How to use Powercfg.exe in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324347/en-us

Last Review : December 3, 2007
    Revision : 9.4

Perhaps the omission of WHS in that article is reasonable given the intended market for WHS, but if I was an OEM manufacturer:

• I'd want to be able to recommend to my customers that they add UPS support to their shopping list, because (we know) power outages can be lethal to data, and
    • I'd want supported access to the same Microsoft tools and diagnostics for the product I'm building as I would have for a fully fledged Server 2003.  So this is a strange omission IMO.

Hopefully this glitch will be fixed or improved with the multitude of other hoped-for fixes in WHS PP1.

Here's my UPS setup:

APC brand Back-UPS CS 500 dedicated to the WHS box and its monitor (which is always off).

The APC UPS Transfer Voltage and Sensitivity setting is set to "High"
    (as is recommended by APC, and as mine have always been set.)

WHS Control Panel | Power Options | Power Scheme = Always On

Colin P.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:46 PM
  • This is rather strange. I have been using an old UPS with the USB cable on my EX470 for about a month with no problems. In fact, after connecting the UPS USB cable, I connected to the EX470 through remote desktop, scanned for new hardware and the system detected the UPS and installed the associated drivers in the OS.

Now, the power settings available from the Control Panel look just like a notebook, i.e., there are settings for behavior on A/C and on battery. For safety, I have set the system to shut down when the battery falls to 40% or lower. I have tested this and it all works very nicely.

I do hope that Microsoft and HP can work out this and other problems by June. WHS has great promise, but it feels like every week or 2 we hear about new bugs, limitations, strange behavior, etc.

Ira

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:31 PM
  • I did not see your post in time.  See my post " HP tip of the day for HP ex470/475.  My APC UPS killed my EX470.

Friday, March 28, 2008 8:52 PM