WD Caviar green 2TB hard drive not detected in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to build my own home server using HP Proliant ML110 G6 server and WHS 2011. I have 2 WD caviar green 2TB drives (WD20EARS) connected to SATA ports 1 and 2. The bios shows both the disks; the install process shows both; but after install, when i try to format the 2nd disk, it just vanishes. It does not show up again in device manager or disk management.

The disks are working and i was able to access them from a linux cd...but only one is accessible from WHS 2011.

I am not sure if this is due to the advanced format (AF) technology or other new features...my understanding was WHS 2011 is compatible with these new technologies.

Please help...I am not able to proceed.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:50 AM

Answers

• This turned out to be hard drive issue. The HP diagnostic tool failed, reporting an error. Linux doesn't take this error seriously. Will return this drive.
    • Marked as answer by grkravi Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:21 PM
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:21 PM

All replies

• It should not be anything to do with Advanced Format drives - I use these same drives with no problem at all.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:48 AM
  • I am surprised that Linux could access both the disks on the same machine whereas WHS 2011 is able to access only one, the primary boot drive. I will return these disks and try the samsung f4.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:10 AM
  • Driver issue? Are the disks both connected to the same controller?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:49 PM
  • It should not be anything to do with Advanced Format drives - I use these same drives with no problem at all.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Note that with WHS 2011 you do not need the jumper.

• Marked as answer by grkravi Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:14 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by grkravi Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:17 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by grkravi Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:31 PM
  • This turned out to be hard drive issue. The HP diagnostic tool failed, reporting an error. Linux doesn't take this error seriously. Will return this drive.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:21 PM