none
.net server upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 2008 server , which have ASP.net , SQL 2008 , I want to migrate everything to run on windows 2016 .

I know there is tool to migrate windows and sql to newer version , how about the .net , how to upgrade it , it could be upgrade by using the windows upgrade tool as well ?

thanks 

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• There are a lot of tools to assist in changing code to newer versions of .NET  They are for developers not system admins.  You do not sound to me like you are a developer, no offense intended.

Is this ASP code something you have had custom-written?  If it is a commercial installer written by a vendor who ceased to exist then as they say - Welcome To The Land Of Orphaned Software!   The best you can hope for is running Server 2008R2 in a HyperV session under Server 2016 and running SQL Server 2008 on that, then that package in the VM.  You MIGHT be able to hand-edit the asp source to work but you will never get the installer to work.

If you had it custom written you need to go back to whoever wrote it and have them look at it.

If it was me and it was custom written I would install a trial of Server 2016 and trial of SQL Server 2016 and just copy the stuff over and see what blows up.

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:36 AM
  • This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki.

I would ask in this forum, which is for questions about migrating from older versions of ASP.Net:

https://forums.asp.net/29.aspx/1?Migrate+from+Other+Web+Technologies+to+ASP+NET

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, October 21, 2019 11:03 AM