Audio and remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I have been trying to use my WHS to play music through my home entertainment system for a few days now and I have the basic functions down, but I want to be able to control the music remotely from a lap top. I use iTunes to play my music and succeeded in getting all of my personal songs to play on the server, but I can't stream the iTunes radio stations. I have not been able to find a way around this so I decided to achieve this via RDC to my server. BUT, when I try to play music from the remote desktop connection nothing plays! I think this has something to do with me not controlling the actual server's desktop, but a "different" one. When I check taskmgr to see what users are logged on it says administrator with an ID of 0 and then another administrator with ID of 1 when I am using remote desktop.

So my question is how do I get audio to play while I am controlling the server with remote desktop.

Also any suggestions on how to do this without remote desktop would be handy.

Thank you all very much!

Saturday, July 5, 2008 7:38 AM

Answers

•  dirtbiker wrote:
    Hey,

First of thank you for replying! I know this is not something WHS is built for, but Its all functional on the desktop of the server. I jsut don't understand why when I log on to Remote Desktop Connection I don't have the same functions as I would if I were working on the monitor and keyboard that are attached to the server.

Because you're not on the same connection.

dirtbiker wrote:
    For Win XP I am able to control exactly the same things from remote desktop as if I were on the computer it self, but on Win XP it locks the user out of the actual computer and then logs the remote user in.

Correct.  XP is a client OS and client OSes (2000 Pro, XP, Vista) don't allow what's called concurrent connections (more than 1 connection to the OS at a time).  Server OSes (Server 2000, 2003, 2008 and WHS) allow it.

dirtbiker wrote:
    This is the only difference I can see between WHS and Win XP the server does not lock the current user out, but seems to make a new account log in,(administrator with a different ID)  that does not have all of the capibilites the server itself has.

Again, you are using a different connection.

dirtbiker wrote:
    So is there any way to log in to my WHS as if I were working on the server's monitor and keyboard attaced to the server, or get sound capibilities when I am logged on as adminstrator with a different ID than 0?

Thank you,

Mike

Yes, you can connect to another active session.  Logon to the server desktop.  Go to Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Manager.  This will show you all of the current sessions (including the one you are currently using).  Right click on the session you want to connect to (most likely the only other one on the list), then click Connect.

NOTE:  You can only have 2 remote connections plus one local (keyboard and mouse) connection at any one time and WHS uses 1 of the 2 possible remote connections for the WHS Console.  So once you jump into the one you want, I would strongly recommend you close all of the other ones.  To do this, open Terminal Services Manager again, right click on each of the other connections and select Log Off.  (If you don't do this, you may inadvertently lock yourself out from being able to connect at all.)

Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, what you want to do, isn't something that WHS, and indeed the underlying Server 2003 is designed to do, indeed the inherent sound functions have never been an important part of a server operating system. The majority of programs that do what you require, need for you to be logged in as a user. This is why there is such a market for items like the Roku, or Chronos units.

The consensus is, that you should be using the WHS to act as a store, and using some form of extender to actually do the controlling. However, if you can find something to do what you want, you will need to ensure that you can run it as a service on Server 2003, otherwise it will not operate correctly, as you have found, once you log out from the desktop, most user programs will just stop working. 

Colin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Hey,

First of thank you for replying! I know this is not something WHS is built for, but Its all functional on the desktop of the server. I jsut don't understand why when I log on to Remote Desktop Connection I don't have the same functions as I would if I were working on the monitor and keyboard that are attached to the server. For Win XP I am able to control exactly the same things from remote desktop as if I were on the computer it self, but on Win XP it locks the user out of the actual computer and then logs the remote user in. This is the only difference I can see between WHS and Win XP the server does not lock the current user out, but seems to make a new account log in,(administrator with a different ID)  that does not have all of the capibilites the server itself has. So is there any way to log in to my WHS as if I were working on the server's monitor and keyboard attaced to the server, or get sound capibilities when I am logged on as adminstrator with a different ID than 0?

Thank you,

Mike

Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:19 PM
  •  dirtbiker wrote:
    Hey,

First of thank you for replying! I know this is not something WHS is built for, but Its all functional on the desktop of the server. I jsut don't understand why when I log on to Remote Desktop Connection I don't have the same functions as I would if I were working on the monitor and keyboard that are attached to the server.

Because you're not on the same connection.

dirtbiker wrote:
    For Win XP I am able to control exactly the same things from remote desktop as if I were on the computer it self, but on Win XP it locks the user out of the actual computer and then logs the remote user in.

Correct.  XP is a client OS and client OSes (2000 Pro, XP, Vista) don't allow what's called concurrent connections (more than 1 connection to the OS at a time).  Server OSes (Server 2000, 2003, 2008 and WHS) allow it.

dirtbiker wrote:
    This is the only difference I can see between WHS and Win XP the server does not lock the current user out, but seems to make a new account log in,(administrator with a different ID)  that does not have all of the capibilites the server itself has.

Again, you are using a different connection.

dirtbiker wrote:
    So is there any way to log in to my WHS as if I were working on the server's monitor and keyboard attaced to the server, or get sound capibilities when I am logged on as adminstrator with a different ID than 0?

Thank you,

Mike

Yes, you can connect to another active session.  Logon to the server desktop.  Go to Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Manager.  This will show you all of the current sessions (including the one you are currently using).  Right click on the session you want to connect to (most likely the only other one on the list), then click Connect.

NOTE:  You can only have 2 remote connections plus one local (keyboard and mouse) connection at any one time and WHS uses 1 of the 2 possible remote connections for the WHS Console.  So once you jump into the one you want, I would strongly recommend you close all of the other ones.  To do this, open Terminal Services Manager again, right click on each of the other connections and select Log Off.  (If you don't do this, you may inadvertently lock yourself out from being able to connect at all.)

Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:32 PM