terminal services RRS feed

• Question

• im not an expert on terminal services.  however i found using XP that when i remote desktop to my main pc over the LAN (both running xp pro) i could run an application much faster than when i would run the same program over the LAN from the shared network drive.  so my question is, with Windows Home Server, if i have an application on the shared server drive, when i run it will it be using terminal services and thus fast, or would i need to remote desktop in to it to have terminal services speed?
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:32 PM

All replies

• You would need to remote desktop into the server to run it the way you are proposing. Although, the server is not really designed for this, it is primarily designed for file and print serving.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:58 PM
  • The reason that running the app via a terminal service session is faster than running it over a network share is because on the terminal server side of things... it’s just a local app and doesn’t have to send lots of extra data across the network in order to run.

Even though it might take a little more work, your best bet for speed would be to install the app to each client machine that would need access to it so that anytime you run it it is being run locally and likely just as fast, if not faster than if you were using terminal server.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:45 PM