Invalid file handle in OEM, only via network RRS feed

• Question

• Heres a weird one...

One of my shares (software) has started throwing up invalid file handle errors when I browse to it via the network shares, however if I RDP connect to the server and follow the UNC path to the share I can access and run the files fine! I've tried moving the files to a different folder and this had no effect. anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

I've only had the OEM installed for 2 days now, and I'm sure I've used files from that share since its been here.

The random sample i have taken from the other shares seems fine
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:32 PM

Answers

• We’ve investigated this issue with bbilko offline and have discovered that he hit some folder permissions issues we had in RC which propagated when he re-installed the RTM OEM version. In general when seeing such issues we advice to try and reset the permissions on the shared folders:

1.     Log into your home server.

2.     For each one of the shared folders which contains files exhibiting this issue, e.g. Music, Photos or a specific user folder e.g. d:\shares\users\mark (don’t try this on d:\shares\users):

a.     Right click on the folder, select properties, and security tab.

b.    Click on the advanced button.

c.     Check the “replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”

d.    Click apply.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:54 PM

All replies

• bbilko,

We would like to further investigate this issue. Can you please contact whsforum@microsoft.com,

thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Funny coincidence, as I just had this issue pop-up yesterday. I'm still using the RC software from June (RTM showing up on Friday!). I had about 340GB of data in the Music share, that I was deleting. As I tried to delete the files, which were nested folders, about 4-levels of hierarchy), I would get this error. I would skip the folder, then continue deleting. It would delete some more, then it would error on a different file. I ended up with about a dozen files it could not delete. I was deleting from my XP machine, via the shared folder. I also tried RD into the WHS, and got the same problems. I rebooted all computers, then tried again. I ended up one-by-one deleting all files except two (which were embedded in folders). I still can't delete these! Argh!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:28 PM
  •  bondisdead wrote:

Funny coincidence, as I just had this issue pop-up yesterday. I'm still using the RC software from June (RTM showing up on Friday!). I had about 340GB of data in the Music share, that I was deleting. As I tried to delete the files, which were nested folders, about 4-levels of hierarchy), I would get this error. I would skip the folder, then continue deleting. It would delete some more, then it would error on a different file. I ended up with about a dozen files it could not delete. I was deleting from my XP machine, via the shared folder. I also tried RD into the WHS, and got the same problems. I rebooted all computers, then tried again. I ended up one-by-one deleting all files except two (which were embedded in folders). I still can't delete these! Argh!

I had a few of those as well (only because I was looking in behind the scenes and deleted some stuff I shouldn't have  ).  However, in the process of trying to fix it, I found a very simple way to get rid of them:  create a file on a client PC with the exact same name as the file you cannot delete (extension too), copy it over to the shared folder where the file that you cannot delete is located.  When asked if you want to overwite the existing file, click yes.  Voila!  You now have a file that can be deleted. Smile

Of course, that doesn't address the bigger problem in your case:  where did the file go in the first place?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:44 PM
  • Cool, I'll give it a shot. Yeah, it was very strange. I did a refresh, and the files were there. I went to another computer, and they weren't there, until I did another refresh. Sounds like a bug, which it looks like MS is aware of based on post #2 above.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:50 PM
  • trouble is, I don't want to delete them I want to use them!
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:57 PM
  •  bbilko wrote:
    trouble is, I don't want to delete them I want to use them!

Well, if the real files aren't there (just the reparse points), you're going to have a heck of a time using them.  You could always go behind the scenes and look to see if the actual files are there (it would be stored in a hidden DE folder on one of your drives, either D:\DE\shares or C:\fs\x\DE\shares, where x is a volume mount point for each secondary hard drive).

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:09 AM
  • well i can get to the files fine when i RDP and use the UNC path to the shares on the server! just not from the network, and not to all the shares
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:14 AM
  • Many users have reported this problem (just search the board) and no easy solutions seems to exist. it seems to be an unfixed bug that survived beta, RC1, CTP and RTM and pops-up on regular basis on this board.

The only solution I can think off when the original files are still there:

1. move these files of the server

2. delete the reparse points. Instructions from Dileep K in this thread (from February 27 of this year!:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2105413&SiteID=50

3. move the files back to the server

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:47 AM
  • yeah thats my current plan, connect a USB drive, and play musical data...

its a little boring though!
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:58 AM
  • We’ve investigated this issue with bbilko offline and have discovered that he hit some folder permissions issues we had in RC which propagated when he re-installed the RTM OEM version. In general when seeing such issues we advice to try and reset the permissions on the shared folders:

1.     Log into your home server.

2.     For each one of the shared folders which contains files exhibiting this issue, e.g. Music, Photos or a specific user folder e.g. d:\shares\users\mark (don’t try this on d:\shares\users):

a.     Right click on the folder, select properties, and security tab.

b.    Click on the advanced button.

c.     Check the “replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”

d.    Click apply.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Mark, I guess this is one for the FAQ section. I guess more upgraders will run into this issue.

Does this also mean users have to re-apply any specific access rights they had previously defined through WHS console?

Monday, October 22, 2007 10:20 PM
  • No. Those rights are defined at the level of the share, and in normal operation WHS will set child folders, and the files within, to inherit permissions from their parent. All you're doing is reapplying the permissions that should be there already.

If, for some reason, a user that's supposed to have access to a share doesn't, then you would have to change that in the console.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Ken is correct. I will work with the moderator to add this to the FAQs

Mark.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:10 PM