Money cannot locate 'C:\ Users...etc" RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the UK running Money 2005 with Vista. All has been well for years. I went away for a few days (it was used, without apparent problems, in my absence) and got the "Money Cannot locate.... message". I can find my file and my Money backup but neither of them will open - I get the same message. I am backed up, so I restored the Money file from before I went away (not the Money backup) and it would not open that either.

I have uninstalled Money and reinstalled it. It still will not open anything. When I try to create a new file in order to install the updates to Money 2005 and I get to the point of saying I don't want to use a password I get a new error message "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try your call again. If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's online services customer support"!! This has happened twice.

Can anyone kindly help? Forgive me if the answer is the same as the "Neither Money sunset nor Money 2005 ..." thread ..If it is I will try to understand that thread; a quick glance at it made me shudder!
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks...interesting idea to try opening the L1 file...but same result I am afraid. I think my backup system is pretty good - apart from the Money backup, which was indeed corrupted in whatever disaster occured whilst I was away - I back up all my critical data onto DVDR daily - Monday to Thursday are separate disks for each day, and then I have 1st Friday (of the month), 2nd Friday etc so I have numerous back up points on 9 separate disks. It was one of these backups that enabled me to restore most of my data. And I do now have a properly working version of the software thanks to this forum and the several people who have taken the time to respond - so I think I have probably recovered my position as far as I can realistically hope to...unless there are more brilliant ideas out there!
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Julia,

I have been away for a while but I can recognise your problem.

UK Money 2005 requires an MS patch to make it work; once upon a time you could download that but the MS servers which supplied it have now been turned off. There was a procedure to make a modified installation disk, so that you would be able to reinstall after the server switch off date. Probably you never knew about that. You will see the exact procedure in this forum.

Your only hope will be to find someone with a working version of UK Money 2005 (obviously patched), copy the patched files, and then use them to over-write those put in place by your installation disk. I don't believe you will breach any licencing laws since you still have your original installation disk.

I use UK Money 2000 so I don't have the modified files that you will need. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you. 

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Thanks so much for responding. Does this mean that I have made Money inoperable by doing the thing that the error message told me to do...i.e. uninstall and reinstall?? I think it does. Arragh. I am quite sure my data files are intact - or that I can find a good one on my back up disks. Is there any other way of recovering my data from them I wonder. This is DIRE! Meanwhile, if anyone out there can help me with the solution that Teabag2 suggests I would be very grateful.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Teabag 2 - Did you look at the first post in this forum?

Julia3103 - Did you try downloading and installing the Money 2005 UK - QFE2  from the link in the first post in this forum?

Bill Becker

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hello Bill Becker,

Thanks for your response.

Things have moved on...it occured to me to do a system restore to get back my old Money. I have done this and a functioning version is opening. It is still refusing to open my main data file, but is opening the one I restored from my own backup system and also my Money Backup. It gives me an error message that a file needed to run the planner is missing, but I close that and the programme runs. I have lost all the (significant amount of) work I did when I last had the programme open - I don't understand how that has happened as I have it backing up when I close the programme so it should have kept those transactions whatever the sinner who opened it while I was away managed to do - which I think was fail to close the programme which was then the victim of a Windows update and restart.

This has all terrified me - any recommendations for another programme to use instead? - that will import such data as I have still got and is rather less sensitive and vulnerable than Money!

Thanks

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:43 PM
  • As Bill Becker said:  Read the first post in this forum.  Download and install Money 2005 QFE.  It should be able to read your latest *.mny file (I assume you saved it under a different name before you opened and saved the old one, if not, use your latest backup).

• Edited by bobjbkln Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:29 PM
  • I did not at first understand how this might help as I do now seem to have a working version, and some files that work with it. However, I now think that you are suggesting that the original file might work again if I download from the link in the first post. I had rather assumed that the original file is indeed corrupted, as the earlier backups will load and it won't. But I will give it a try. Thanks.
    • Edited by Julia3103 Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Bill,

I didn't, and obviously I should have done. Like I said, I have been away from sometime.

You are right and it's good to see that folk with UK Money 2005 have not been left  high & dry ever since the server which supplied the online update was taken down. 

Teabag

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Julia 3103,

It is worth a try, but if Money is opening some of your files it is likely that the Money installation is OK and the problem is with the data file.

A couple of questions:

- Exactly what error message do you get when you try to open your main data file?

- Can you get far enough to do a repair on the main data file?  If so, what happens?

And comments

- I have used Money since 1999 and it has been remarkably robust.  Is has managed to preserve the Money file even if my computer froze or crashed with a blue screen when Money was open.  But files can become corrupted for many reasons, so continue to keep multiple backups.

- One option for similar personal finance functionality is Quicken.  If you search this forum you will see discussions on the pros and cons of Quicken and descriptions of what it takes to export your existing data and import it into Quicken.  It's rather involved and some data will not come over.

- If you are going to stick with Money, be sure to download that 2005 UK installation file file and save it to more than one place.  The download links may go away without notice.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Many thanks for your response. I have now downloaded and installed Money using the link in the first post and it works very well with my old file - no problems. But it still will not open my up to date file. It says "Money has detected that you did not close the file "Julia" before exiting. Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now? If you click No you will need to open a dirrerent Money file" - this is different from the message I got before I installed the new version of Money - with my old version I got the "Money cannot locate <var>C;\ etc ..... </var>or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then restore your most recent backup file." message.

When I try to repair, if I choose level 1 it says it has repaired, it cannot find the log file and still will not open. If I try to repair at level 2 it says "The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a  backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure youf file is not saved as read-only". I have checked and the file is not read only. there is also no log file for level 2.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:07 PM
  • When I try to repair, if I choose level 1 it says it has repaired, it cannot find the log file and still will not open. If I try to repair at level 2 it says "The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a  backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure youf file is not saved as read-only". I have checked and the file is not read only. there is also no log file for level 2.

I am glad your backup file works now. It is good that the Money file did not get corrupted and then overwrite your only backup file. Review your backup policies. Consider what would have happened if your hard drive crashed.

Money 2005 will not make multiple backups on its own, but it will make both a scheduled and an upon-exit backup. Here is my suggestion for a Money 2005  backup strategy:

===============================
    In M05: Tools->Settings->BackupOptions
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
    Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money050211.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.
    ==========================================

Regarding the repair, you might try taking the file produced by the level 1 repair and applying the level 2 repair to that. It may not help, but it could be worth a try.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Thanks...interesting idea to try opening the L1 file...but same result I am afraid. I think my backup system is pretty good - apart from the Money backup, which was indeed corrupted in whatever disaster occured whilst I was away - I back up all my critical data onto DVDR daily - Monday to Thursday are separate disks for each day, and then I have 1st Friday (of the month), 2nd Friday etc so I have numerous back up points on 9 separate disks. It was one of these backups that enabled me to restore most of my data. And I do now have a properly working version of the software thanks to this forum and the several people who have taken the time to respond - so I think I have probably recovered my position as far as I can realistically hope to...unless there are more brilliant ideas out there!
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:50 PM